Railroad Forums 

• EMC's built with Westinghouse electrical gear

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1587736  by SSW921

This interesting item started on the Facebook F units, E units, FA's, PA's and other Diesel Cab units group. On review of the EMD Product Data there were 35 units built by EMC with Westinghouse electrical equipment. My penchant for list making will endeavor to give you something you may not have seen discussed before.

RR Type Qty Road #
ATSF NW 3 2400-2402
B&O EA 6 51-56
B&O EB 6 51x-56x
BS NC1 5 71-75
GN NW 1 100
KCT NW 2 60-61
MP NC2 2 4100-4101
MP E3A 1 7001
NP NW 1 99
PB&NE NC 5 51-55
SP E2A 1 6017 (SF1)
UP E2B 2 983BJ, 983CJ (SF2, SF3)

The SP E2A is shown with EM electrical gear and as being built in December 1937, but this is likely the equipment that was installed during a rebuilding. The electrical diagram for the SP E2A is 8021013 and the diagram for the UP E2Bs is 8021014. It is highly unlikely that EMC would have mixed electrical gear on this E2 set. And the EMC E3A demonstrator #822 is said to have been the first unit with EMC electrical gear. The MP E3A #7001 was built in October 1939. The remaining 34 EMC units with Westinghouse electrical gear were built in 1937-1938.

Ed in Kentucky
 #1587897  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for this! There's some (potentially) interesting history behind this data.
Remarks:
---According to the old Kalmbach"Diesel Spotter's Guide" (and its successor, "Diesel Locomotives: the first 70 years"), EMC assigned (or maybe EMD retrospectively assigned) different model numbers to the Winton-engined N-series switchers according to the type of electrical gear. (Including one submodes -- three built -- with GE generators and EMC traction motors: sounds as if Electromotive's production of the smaller piece of electrical equipment got underway a few weeks before their production of generators!)
---Maybe not just switchers: the main difference between EA/EB (B&O) and E1A/E1B (ATSF) was surely that the EA had Westinghouse and the E1 had GE equipment. So **maybe** the original intention was to give otherwise similar units with different makes of electrical gear different model numbers.
---At least with switchers, GE-equipped EMC units outnumbered Westinghouse by a fair margin. (Which might, I guess, have something to do with why the first EMC traction motor was a clone of the GE 716 and not of some W'H design.)
---With the E2, am I right in remembering that one set was built with GE and one with Westinghouse equipment? In which case, SOMEBODY (EMC? the motive power people of at least one of the ordering railroads?) wanted to compare the two options!
---
---As for the MP E3A, I have read somewhere -- I think in a "Trains" magazine article on the E3/E4/E5/E6 units back in the 1970s -- that this unit got Westinghouse electricals to use up a set that EMC had in stock, after they had introduced their own electricals for regular production. MP got two E3 units: the other had EMC electricals, and I suspect MP would have gotten a discount for accepting non-standard equipment on this one!
 #1587902  by SSW921

Yes on the E2 three unit sets being built with different electrical gear. The LA set had GE electricals and the SF set had Westinghouse electricals. I have to wonder if UP was trying out both types for EMC.

Ed in Kentucky
 #1588380  by Engineer Spike

I've read that much of GM's locomotive electrical gear was based on what had been purchased from GE. This is the first that I'm hearing about using Westinghouse. It makes me wonder if GM put out a specification for the needed parts, and either electrical manufacturer made the same exact part, just like WWII Jeeps, which were made by Ford or Willy's to the exact same designs, with interchangeable parts. Maybe someone could post whether the electrical parts were built to GM specifications, or if GM bought off the shelf parts for both vendors.
 #1588574  by SSW921

The use of Westinghouse electrical gear by EMC is an anomaly. Engineer Spike asks some relevant questions about why this happened. The research into this involved reading down the 286 pages of the EMD Product Data and looking at the third column. That column had an EM, GE, or W for the electrical gear used. There were very few Ws in that column, just 12.

Ed in Kentucky
 #1588575  by SSW921

Allen Hazen wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:53 pm ---As for the MP E3A, I have read somewhere -- I think in a "Trains" magazine article on the E3/E4/E5/E6 units back in the 1970s -- that this unit got Westinghouse electricals to use up a set that EMC had in stock, after they had introduced their own electricals for regular production. MP got two E3 units: the other had EMC electricals, and I suspect MP would have gotten a discount for accepting non-standard equipment on this one!
The article is "Where are the Noses of Yesteryear" by Louis Marre pages 38-47 December 1971 Trains. The reference to the Missouri Pacific E3s is on page 44. Specifically the MP 7000 received GE electrical gear and the MP 7001 received Westinghouse electrical gear. Marre writes that this was to use up EMC's stock of outside electrical gear. My note on this would be that Missouri Pacific being a bankrupt railroad at the time would have gone for using this leftover gear to save some dollars.

Ed in Kentucky