• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Hate being the pessimist because I love restoration as much as the next person, but I still think we'll end up nicking our chins as we shave with the razor blades made from these artifacts. 😐
  by ConstanceR46

Danbury still mostly owns them, i believe.

Edit: My most recent post painted far too dim a light on danbury without reading the article in full. Plans are, apparently, already in place.
  by nessman

ConstanceR46 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:00 pm Danbury still mostly owns them, i believe.

Edit: My most recent post painted far too dim a light on danbury without reading the article in full. Plans are, apparently, already in place.
Huh... and they have 4-6 weeks to do this?? Gonna be interesting and gonna be very expensive. Sounds like someone with deep pockets is willing to loan the $$.
  by nessman

This assumes it can be moved. I can see saving the T and S motors, but the U25B and the RS3, as well as the passenger cars are pretty much all candidates for being scrapped in place and hauled off site. Be interesting to see how this progresses.
  by lvrr325

Moves like this happen all the time. Maybe the stuff has to be put on flatcars with trucks, fuel tanks etc. removed. Maybe some of it can be patched up enough for one-way hospital moves. I don't know why people keep acting like it's impossible. Difficult? yes. Expensive? yes. Impossible? No.
  by nessman

Sounds like they had to line up support from PSE&G for access to their property to make this happen. My guess is that didn't happen without their legal / risk management folks being heavily involved in coordination with the Albany Port Authority. Otherwise, they were content with ignoring a bunch of rail enthusiasts letting the collection sit and rust in the woods until the land was needed for development.
  by nessman

It's been 6 weeks since the article was written and they were hoping to get these things out of there 4-6 weeks from the time the article was published. Any updates on this?
  by NaugyRR

I doubt it, it's been nothing but mud and slush and slop here for the last few weeks
  by nessman

NaugyRR wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:16 am I doubt it, it's been nothing but mud and slush and slop here for the last few weeks
You're speculating / assuming. That doesn't answer the question.
  by NaugyRR

No need to get snippy. I'm a local and spend a lot of time in the Albany area. The weather and ground conditions are factual, and I can provide you with public records of such if you like. Also a fact is that rigging companies typically don't work under adverse conditions if it can be helped. If you have anything more productive to add to the conversation other than being rude to someone making a simple statement on a forum for free and friendly conversation, then please, contribute...
  by BR&P

It should be noted that - sadly - this forum has far fewer participants than in the days before Facebook became so popular. The reply was indeed speculation, but was clearly indicated as such so there's nothing at all wrong with that. All other factors aside, there has not been a single reply so far stating a cold hard factual answer to the question. A speculative answer based on observations about weather is the best we have so far. Speaking for myself, I'm OK with that.