• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trainspot

Interesting photos by Bill. That's the 1422 inside & out (grey ends) and I think the 1677 which was the club car "Rockaway", am I correct? Were they taken in Riverhead? I think only 5 made the trip from the Westhampton siding to Riverhead after they had to vacate the Calverton siding to go to Westhampton .

Here's some of my photos:
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... x?id=11536
and
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... 536&Page=2
  by Pensyfan19

Hello all. After doing some research, I have read that LIRR Brill Doodlebug #1134 was sold to the Atlantic and Western as their #7. Sometime later, this railcar was preserved "in a dilapidated state in a museum in Ohio". This info is from a book by Ron Ziel of the LIRR in photos. Does anyone know if this railcar is preserved, and which museum in Ohio (or elsewhere) the 1134 is in? Thank you.
  by RGlueck

Around 1968 or so, Ziel proposed the Sunrise Trail NRHS acquire the car and rebuild it. Repowering with a Diesel truck motor was being considered, but the owners refused to sell the car at that time. Further negotiations were stonewalled and I know nothing further about the "doodlebug". Ron wanted the car for operation on his and George Foster's proposed "Sag Harbor- Scuttle Hole" railroad.
I thought the car was scrapped but I'd be pleasantly surprised to learn otherwise.
Have you done a Google search?
  by Pensyfan19

RGlueck wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:55 am Around 1968 or so, Ziel proposed the Sunrise Trail NRHS acquire the car and rebuild it. Repowering with a Diesel truck motor was being considered, but the owners refused to sell the car at that time. Further negotiations were stonewalled and I know nothing further about the "doodlebug". Ron wanted the car for operation on his and George Foster's proposed "Sag Harbor- Scuttle Hole" railroad.
I thought the car was scrapped but I'd be pleasantly surprised to learn otherwise.
Have you done a Google search?
According to Ron Ziel's "The Long Island Railroad in Early Photographs", published in 1990, the description for 1134 states that "the car was later sold to the Atlantic and Western Railroad of Samford, NC, and, in an advanced state of decay, it survives today in Ohio". After doing extensive research, I found the 1134 in an orange livery (from Arrt Huenke's Archive), and another, more detailed livery as the railroad's #7 for "jitney" service (I'm not sure which livery it was painted in first). I cannot find any info about this railcar being preserved or stored in Ohio, and any further info on this railcar's fate is greatly appreciated.
  by Pensyfan19

trainspot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:11 am Have a town name in Ohio?
That's what I've been trying to find out. Mr. Ziel just wrote "Ohio" for his description of the car's location. That narrows it down to a railway museum which was around before 1990.
  by newkirk

trainspot wrote: Interesting photos by Bill. That's the 1422 inside & out (grey ends) and I think the 1677 which was the club car "Rockaway", am I correct? Were they taken in Riverhead?
Yes, those cars were on a siding just west of the Riverhead station. BTW, I photographed this cab signaling gizmo on one of the MP-54's.
  by ConstanceR46

For a change of pace; is anyone aware of who actually owns the pair of P-72 Bar/Gen cars located in the Brooklyn Army Terminal?
  by Twin Forks NRHS

A few of us went to go see the cars at the BAT to document and take detailed photographs of the cars. We were told that they are owned by the BAT and that we needed permission to go in and see them. This was in August of 2020.
  by ConstanceR46

The first part probably translates to ownership being done by some branch of the NYC Dept. of Economic Development. The second part - for general photos, mind you - seems a lot less. The beginning of last year i went down there and nobody thought to stop me - in fact, they're adjacent to a public walkway.
  by Mr rt

The Seashore Trolley Museum in ME also has an MP-54 #4137
  by RGlueck

The gas doodlebug went to the Moscow, Camden, and St. Augustine Railroad.
  by RGlueck

The MP54 in Maine is a rusted out hulk, used to store windows and trolley parts. The underside is a horror.
  by ExCon90

trainspot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:11 am Have a town name in Ohio?
Fwiw, there's a Worthington in Ohio where Erie 5012 deteriorated in place for a while. I don't know what became of the site.
  by 4behind2

For all those who claim they can't seem to find funding in New York State, this will be of interest:

• $460,000 to the Leatherstocking Railway Historical Society toward the rehabilitation and expansion
of the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley Railroad.
• $201,000 to the Leatherstocking Railway Historical Society toward the replacement of locomotive
wheels.