Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1591485  by Pensyfan19

Suggestion after speaking with a friend: send LIRR 39 and 35 to Cheyenne so they can be restored by the UP Steam Program at a quicker pace. They can be shipped by rail and UP might be willing to restore more steam engines based on their work with 4014. I'm not sure how viable this idea is, but my friend mentioned it so might as well state it here in case if anyone agrees or not.
 #1591513  by MACTRAXX

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:06 pm When someone comes up with the money they might try the Strasburg first.
...As RMLI is doing with G5s #39 now with what is turning out to be a long-term relationship...

PF: Any dealings with UP is most likely to be an expensive proposition costing major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
They may not have any interest in non-UP steam locomotives - but again money talks...MACTRAXX
 #1591558  by RGlueck

I've been actively trying to breathe more life into the 39 and 35 projects. I think concentrating on 39 at this time is the way to go. You're absolutely correct in stating it will take a lot of money, but let's not overstate the obstacles. Strasburg knows precisely what to do to resuscitate the locomotive. Operation of a PRR G5s may only mean "an old time train" to most tourists at Strasburg, but to railfans and PRR fans (I'm Pennsy geek #1) it will mean days at the railroad and many rides. It will draw so many people to the RMPA the parking will be way insufficient. It will measure up as an attraction much the way Reading 2102 is going to. It will draw in 1361 to stand by its side. If it should leave Strasburg for a fan run (operative word is if) the prospect of seeing that red keystone swing into sight will be similar to those who have chased the Big Boy. Restoring 39 will be a major postcard for Strasburg RR as well. This is an exotic locomotive.
I keep hearing "I can't donate", "They screwed up in the past", "What if it doesn't happen and I gave my $50?" Well, what about it? If nobody steps forward, you're right, nothing will happen. It needs grant funding, so get in touch with RMLI and write some grants. My experience has been that the first few applications are passed over, but then something comes through. Success builds on success. If we wish to see a G5s operate in our lifetimes, lets get some enthusiasm and do it right this time.
And for God's sake, stop chanting "It can't be done". That mantra is full of moths and fit only for defeatists.
 #1591573  by eolesen

Most of the UP tooling and fabrication is unique to their big steamers. I don't know if they'd be the best place for a smaller locomotive. And... even as well equipped as they are in Cheyenne, the UPRR doesn't do all of its own work. For example, the drivers for 844 and 4014 were sent to Strasburg during their rebuilds. When the 844 got flat spots in TX, they sent two pair each to TVRM and Strasburg.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1591655  by workextra

This is getting funny now.
Yup won’t be helping restore anyones engine short of maybe sharing information. The stuff that won’t cost them much money or be off concern if their investors.
It would be cool seeing a little lonely G5 on Sherman hill :-D
But I’ll enjoy train simulator screen shots.
Seriously the 39 project is dead. Inflation is through the roof, the fed keeps pressing the print button. And before long you know we will be on bread lines.
However there is a solution. Providing the amount can be locked in and not affected inflation the million bucks can be paid sooner with cheaper dollars.
But I forgot… their playing compounding interest so that work work. Should have taken a Mortgage out on RMLI a few months ago when the rates were 2%. Then we’d have an operable G5 :-D
 #1591738  by Pensyfan19

Any way NYS or Suffolk County can pass a law that dedicates a small percentage of taxes to the 39 project on the grounds of historical significance and preservation..?
 #1591760  by workextra

I don’t think NYS residents want to pay to pay a tax for 39, especially since it’s not owned by the the state.
However Nassau county could technically propose this for a vote for engine 35 because to my knowledge it’s still owned by the county and under the car abs mgmt of the OBRM.
But with Nassaus taxes out of control, now is most definitely not the time to push this idea through a county budget meeting.
Cut the school taxes first or divert 1% of them to the 35 operational restoration project and she’ll be hot in a year.
Justification is it’s for educational purposes. Thus not costing residents any more money and taking some money away from the schools to waste on foolish spending.
 #1591788  by MACTRAXX

PF: There is no way Suffolk County taxpayer funds will be used on the #39 now that it is no longer on LI.
With #35 at OBRM there could be a way for a "grant" of some sort for preservation and upgrade from NC.
Using regular tax funding or a dedicated tax from Nassau County is not going to happen...MACTRAXX
 #1592189  by workextra

Nassau’s issue is easy to fix.
Get rid of the duplication in the school systems administration that’s several million a year in savings. And diver 2% of that saving for 5 years to OBRM, 35 will be steaming and school taxes further reduced after 5 years.

For the parents who don’t want their rich kids in school with poorer kids. You have the right. To take your savings on school taxes and divert them to a school catering to you demands/requirement.
Using school funding saved from not paying duplicate school management is justified because the steam locomotives operational restoration is for the purpose of education.

This is juicy! Someone will totally be offended. But the fact is Nassau residents are being robbed eyes wide open by the school system which was set up for smaller rural communities not the almost city like Nassau county and it’s subordinate towns and villages.
Don’t get mad. Now y’all. Have a little humor.
 #1594953  by RGlueck

Great article on the restoration plans for LIRR G5s #35, in this month's PRR T&HS "Keystone".
If you aren't a G5s supporter or a member of the PRR T&HS, why not?
 #1595815  by Pensyfan19

Last week, I was informed by a friend that there were rumors floating around regarding RS3 #1556, including possible restoration, service for a museum in CT, and possibly for excursion service on LI. Since I haven't been to the RMLI for a while, can anyone confirm if any of this news about the engine is true? Thanks.