Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1585190  by RGlueck

Whether the Chief is masked or unmasked, strolling or dashing, I'm certain he's offensive to native Americans.
That apart, seeing some logo identity for the LIRR would be nice once again. It might have been Jim Schultz who came up with "The Route of the Dashing Commuter" slogan and logo, but it caught on and it represented the LIRR's primary function. It would be nice to see the state of New York show the kind of heritage pride seen on the old New Haven.
 #1585556  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:27 pm Whether the Chief is masked or unmasked, strolling or dashing, I'm certain he's offensive to native Americans.
That apart, seeing some logo identity for the LIRR would be nice once again. It might have been Jim Schultz who came up with "The Route of the Dashing Commuter" slogan and logo, but it caught on and it represented the LIRR's primary function. It would be nice to see the state of New York show the kind of heritage pride seen on the old New Haven.
Native Americans didn't give a hoot about the Washington Redskins name change and, frankly, could probably give a damn about the Weekend Chief. This "perceived" offensive is a Media created LEFT farce, as I see it. Why does this nonsense creep in here?? :-(
 #1585577  by RGlueck

Because society changes, Steve. There's nothing as certain as change, and you'd better learn to accept it and not hold back the ocean waters, because they will sweep the beach clean. One doesn't have to be "a Liberal", like there was something wrong with progression, to see other views. I, for one, am sick of hearing people call themselves "Conservatives" and and believing you need to be armed to the teeth to stop other people from wanting change.
"A man who has lived fifty years and hasn't changed his opinions has wasted half his life."- Muhammed Ali

That's why this is in here.
 #1585628  by scopelliti

Well said. I would ask how folks would react if teams adopted other "colorful" racial names. Having grown up in Brooklyn I have a decent list of those colorful names... use your imagination. :-)