Railroad Forums 

• Caboose at Silver Lake, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1584668  by Benjamin Maggi

I finally took some things out of storage recently and included in the pile of stuff was a picture of me in my snowsuit standing on the frozen lake with the caboose in the background. I don't have a handy way to scan the actual picture, but if BR&P sends me a PM with his email I will take a photo of the picture and send that to him. Perhaps then he can identify it.
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1584672  by Benjamin Maggi

I don't know how. If am willing to email it to someone else if they want to upload it for me. Just send me your email.
 #1584679  by sd80mac

Hitvthe reply below... (not "quick reply" )
At bottom of that reply box. See "upload photos"

Its not that hard to do this
 #1584683  by Benjamin Maggi

sd80mac wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:46 am Hitvthe reply below... (not "quick reply" )
At bottom of that reply box. See "upload photos"

Its not that hard to do this
I thought you had to host photos on a separate site. I didn't realize Railroad.net allowed you to directly attach photos.

Anyway, here is the photo. I can't remember the exact date, but likely late 1980s-early 1990s. I have no idea why it is tilted sideways. I hope this picture helps identify the caboose.
Attachments:
Caboose on Lake.JPG
Caboose on Lake.JPG (4.72 MiB) Viewed 973 times
 #1584694  by BR&P

Wow, I didn't check the site for a couple days and things heated up! :-D

Thank you so much for posting the pic, we can go a long ways with that. The caboose is ex B&O, but NOT ex BR&P. The steps, the 4 windows, the side grab irons, the end ladder, all are different. Looks to me like a Class I-5c or I-5d, which would have been in the C1900 - C2199 range.

Amazing how something can be a big mystery for years until one photo makes a big difference!
 #1584738  by RailKevin

The cottage at 3913 does not appear in the aerial photo of 1972. Check out the imagery on www.historicaerials.com. The next image is 1995, and maybe it's there, but very fuzzy. Anyway, whoever built the cottage at 3913 may have had it removed sometime between 1972 and 1995.
 #1584741  by nydepot

It's under the trees by then. The caboose lasted well into the 2000s. My family cottage is on the other side of the lake. The crossing tower at the shore on the property is still in place.
 #1584899  by Benjamin Maggi

BR&P wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:33 pm Wow, I didn't check the site for a couple days and things heated up! :-D

Thank you so much for posting the pic, we can go a long ways with that. The caboose is ex B&O, but NOT ex BR&P. The steps, the 4 windows, the side grab irons, the end ladder, all are different. Looks to me like a Class I-5c or I-5d, which would have been in the C1900 - C2199 range.

Amazing how something can be a big mystery for years until one photo makes a big difference!
Indeed. You are very welcome. I am glad it helped.