Railroad Forums 

• Hochul Revises Cuomo's Penn Station Plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1584428  by electricron

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:19 am The comment about more stairs, etc reminded me that all this work though won't fix one of the major issues with the platforms: the fact that to support MSG itself a number of additional posts were pushed all the way through the platform level, leading to awkward platform widths at spots. While more stairs and elevators would be a nice thing, I think ultimately, removing MSG and the supports would be a huge help too.
What do you really think will happen if MSG was torn down above Pennsylvania Station? Do you really believe they would just add a glass canopy? Or do you think a new skyscraper, both larger and taller, would be built above it? Remember you are in the middle of Manhattan, the most dense neighborhoods in the USA.
Now, what do you think they would need to support the new larger and taller skyscraper? More posts!
 #1584436  by kitchin

Hey, the 42nd Street Shuttle closed two tracks to widen the platforms. It'll never happen at Penn, but if it did it, maybe just to make another premium benefit for Acela.

So the natural solution to the cramped platforms is to get people on and off them as nicely as possible, which is all they've ever figured out to do about the situation, and the Hochul plan is another iteration of that. Seems to me in the early 1980s the track announcements worked well at NYP. And Washington Union Station, which was a construction pit surrounded by wooden walkways inside, seemed less crowded than it does now for boarding. I guess it was.
 #1584441  by ConstanceR46

It's ignorant to act like expanding Penn is solely for NJT riders. Every train operating into Penn South would be another free track for a LIRR or MN PSA train; to say nothing of the fact most commuters are going to work for NYC based companies and shop at NYC based stores.

IMO Gateway should be as high priority as possible - a moderately ugly station pales in comparison to the NEC being severed at the roots if anything happens to the Hudson Tunnels.
 #1584451  by JamesRR

kitchin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:30 am Hey, the 42nd Street Shuttle closed two tracks to widen the platforms. It'll never happen at Penn, but if it did it, maybe just to make another premium benefit for Acela.

So the natural solution to the cramped platforms is to get people on and off them as nicely as possible, which is all they've ever figured out to do about the situation, and the Hochul plan is another iteration of that. Seems to me in the early 1980s the track announcements worked well at NYP. And Washington Union Station, which was a construction pit surrounded by wooden walkways inside, seemed less crowded than it does now for boarding. I guess it was.
Actually what you suggest is likely the only real solution to the cramped platforms. Add new tracks (e.g. to the south as planned) and lose a track or two to allow the existing tracks to be reconfigured around wider platforms. While some thru tracks would be lost, by pushing most NJT trains to the new annex, Amtrak could use the thru tracks almost exclusively. Makes more sense anyway since those are the ones that connect w/the Moynihan complex.