Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1583378  by erie910

I lived worked in NYC for a number of years in the 1960's and 1970's, and had, at that time, ridden all of the existing subway lines. There have been some changes since then, such as the connection for the E train to the Jamaica Center terminal, the extension of the #7 to Hudson Yard, and the 2nd Av subway. I recently watched a couple of RFW videos of Flushing-bound trains, and I have a few questions have come to mind:

1. Did the extension of the line from the Times Square station to Hudson Yard block the track which accessed the IND 8th Av 42nd St. station lower level?

2. In the two YouTube videos that I watched, it appears that there were some signals on the elevated portion which were not lit and some close by which were. Are some signals being replaced/have some been replaced? Are the ones which are working the new ones or the old ones?

3. Just southwest of the 103rd St. station there appears to be a structure which might have been a tower. If it were a tower, what did it control?

4. At the Junction Blvd. station (I think that I remember this correctly), there is an overhead structure which appears to be the width of two tracks. Was there a line which crossed the Flushing line at this point? I assume that this overhead structure now is a way to get from one platform to another?

5. When express trains operate, and there is a stop at an express station, are the doors opened on the side of the local track to allow cross-platform transfers to a local train, or are they operated on one side of the train only, regardless of direction of travel?

6. When service to Flushing & Astoria was shared by IRT and BMT trains, wasn't there a substantial gap between IRT cars and platforms, since the platforms could accommodate the wider BMT cars?

7. Okay, one Astoria line question: Was there ever express service on the middle track of the Astoria line? If so, when was it discontinued?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
 #1583380  by R36 Combine Coach

1. Yes, IND lower level was severed. I do believe the track north of 41st where the 7 crosses could been retained
and a switch installed to allow direct access to 207th shop, but not planned.

Flushing Line equipment requires a circuitous route to 207th, where heavy overhauls and major work on the
IRT (A) Division fleet are based, using the BMT Broadway Line south from Queensboro upper level to Atlantic-
Pacific relay, then reverse and north over Manhattan Bridge north tracks to IND 6th Avenue and up to 207th.
(Previously Flushing Line fleet had been cycled to and from Coney Island for major overhauls and heavy
work).

2. CBTC signals activate when train is in vicinity.

4. That is the ADA crossover bridge (elevator access), built 2006-2007.

5. Doors open based on direction. Westbound express will open on the westbound platform at Junction Blvd
and 61 Street.

6. BMT cars on this line were wood el cars (narrow loading gauge), rebuilt to "Q" cars for 1939-40 World's Fair.
They were not the same as the A/B standards or other heavyweight BMT subway stock.

The Flushing Line east of Queensboro Plaza is built to BMT loading gauge (under Dual Contract specifications),
though platforms are for 8'-9" IRT loading gauge. Full size 10' width B Division cars could run if platforms are
trimmed. The Steinway Tunnel has a very restrictive loading gauge and cannot accommodate anything larger.

7. Only irregularly throughout history. Most recent was the W Astoria Express (peak direction) in service July 23-
September 11, 2001 and resumed briefly December 2001-January 2002. Now mainly used for weekend
construction, when one local track is out of service.