Railroad Forums 

• Rename CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1572615  by STrRedWolf

rtstasiak wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:06 pm Besides being a test, an unnamed CSX boss told me 20 years ago that "C was for Chessie, S was for Seaboard, and damned if he knew what X was for". I think the X was really for the "sweet mystery of life" in Young Frankenstein.
Per Wikipedia, the lawyers used "CSX" because "Chessie-Seaboard Company" would turn to CSC and that was taken by a trucking company. "CSM" (M for merger) was already taken as well.
 #1572650  by ExCon90

I remember a news release at the time that said the X represented the multiplier effect of Chessie x Seaboard. Don't know whether the PR people understood that another letter was going to have to follow the X if they expected to collect per diem on their cars.
 #1573058  by mmi16

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:43 pm I remember a news release at the time that said the X represented the multiplier effect of Chessie x Seaboard. Don't know whether the PR people understood that another letter was going to have to follow the X if they expected to collect per diem on their cars.
That is why when CSX Corporation formed the combined railroads they were incorporated as CSX Transportation with reporting marks CSXT.

The initial CSX merger was with the holding companies for each railroad in 1980. The formation of CSXT and making all the carriers a single operating entity didn't begin until 1986.