Railroad Forums 

• AMDG? IS THE COMPANY LEGIT?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#156688  by Guest

johnrp23,
If it's possible in your area, you might want to consider a job for Norfolk Southern...they offer paid training.

-r

#156859  by JasonA

I am currently working on getting certified for my engineer's blue card for a small short line. The guy who gave us the written portion of the testing gave us a few words of advice he learned from his 20+ years of railroading:

1. You are responsable for your safety, do not, under any circumstances, rely on anyone else. If you get hurt, it's your fault.

2. Don't do anything stupid or take short cuts. Every rule in the rule book was written in blood, they are there for a reason.

As a side note, I am getting carded because it's something I want to do. I probably won't have a ton of hours after I am certified, but the guy who is going to certify me is well known in this area and has certified over 300 engineers in NW Indiana. Will this be worth my time if I choose to try and hire onto a class 1?

#156864  by GOLDEN-ARM

Jason. Good luck on your "card". As far as the class-1's go, it really won't help you. The "big-boys" don't hire engineers (although there are emergency exceptions), and if you do get hired as a trainman, your date of hire/seniority date will determine when you go to engineers school (yes, you will have to go again) and when you will be eligible to hold a board/job. The unions have pretty much "locked-out" the carriers from being able to hire engineers, off the street. The UTU has implemented this, as part of the infamous "halloween" agreement, back in the 80's. Sometimes a carrier will "cut a deal", with the unions, and they will be allowed to hire engineers, off the street. (That's how I got my CP/SOO job, as well as my UPRR job). We were hired, went to a "quickie" recertification/rules class, and when we returned to our home terminals, we worked 1 shift as a trainman (to establish trainmens seniority) then we were promoted into engine service. This is a very rare exception, however. That card is your "ticker to ride", as far as the short-line and regionals go ! Good luck :wink:

#156877  by SteelWheels21

You can also get hired on to commuter railroads if the ad specifically calls for applicants with a class I. I saw this on the Septa website a few years ago, and more recently there was a posting on Metro North for candidates with a class I and 18 months running experience.