Railroad Forums 

• CN Canadian National U.S. trainman training pay?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#155532  by 42183

Considering applying for a trainman position with CN, changing career fields, have no experience in the RR field. What is the pay during training and the average first year trainman pay?

Thanks

#155553  by UPRR engineer

I aint ripping you here buddy BUT, most of us are about tired of talking about pay, plus David hates it. (And im starting to see why) Railroaders arent poor, look around a bit on here and you'll see about what your gonna get paid. Every District/Terminal is different. We get paid by the mile/trip, not by the hour. If you do hire on its a world like you never expected as far as pay goes, so no one can give you a straight answer on pay. The harder you work and how good you get at it, the more you will make. Some pay days im killing them, and then other halfs i collect a ton of guarantee. Theres really no average pay on any system. Like i said no harm intended, read some of the posts and youll get an idea buddy. None of us live poor.

#155554  by Chris_S68

Maybe they should post a FAQ. :wink:

#155562  by 42183

Well UPRR engineer,

Apparently the UP pays differently than the CN, I did some research prior to posting this question and the quote below regards pay by hour at CN.

If anyone has info on the hourly guarantee during conductor training at CN and perdiem and hotel accommodations, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post the info here for UPRR and myself.

Thanks.
jg greenwood wrote:
rail wrote:I currently work for another railroad going through Engineer Training. I have an interview with CN next week for conductor opening on the former Wisconsin Central. Just wondering if the rumors I hear about the CN contracts are True? $33.00 for Engineer. $27.00 for conductor. Is this True and if it is what have been the drawbacks of the contract.
If this is true I will jump at the chance to work for CN, if not I will stay where I am At.
Actually, $33.00/hr. for the engineers, $30.00/hr. for conductors. Drawbacks? This is based upon a 10 hour day, overtime after 10 hours. No air-pay, initial/final terminal delay. You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract. Extra board guarantees: $1,400.00/wk. for engineers, IIRC, $1,350.00/wk. for the conductors. The engineer guarantee is based upon weekly earnings, the conductors per half. This means as an engr. you can collect your guarantee for one week, make above the guarantee the following week and earn above $2,800/half. Not so with the conductor's board. Feel free to contact me via PM for additional info.

#155569  by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:I aint ripping you here buddy BUT, most of us are about tired of talking about pay, plus David hates it.

Geez, Uncle Pete. You sure you ain't ripping him just a little? :wink:

I still don't know why we can't post basic day's pay or hourly rate and arbs and such here. It's not like we're bragging; just trying to answer questions.
UPRR engineer wrote:None of us live poor.
And we don't live too normally either. Especially you road guys. I've actually got it easy these days: Thursday and Friday off. When I was younger and working the list, seven or eight starts a week was common. The checks were nice but sometimes I saw myself coming the other way on Route 80.

#155572  by UPRR engineer

Well ok then 64589, good job on asking first then looking for yourself. I think you'll fit in nicely with the railroad.
jg greenwood wrote: You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract.
Thats a raw deal.

Sorry 42183, this place is more like a search engine where you hunt down your own answers when you first get here, then ask questions. Sorry buddy.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#155573  by 42183

UPRR engineer wrote:Well ok then 64589, good job on asking first then looking for yourself. I think you'll fit in nicely with the railroad.
jg greenwood wrote: You can and will handle multiple trains per shift, with no additional compensation as per the contract.
Thats a raw deal.
You have it backwards UP conductor, I looked first than asked.

And it's N42183, my J-3 Cub.

#155574  by UPRR engineer

Wonders to himself..... should i throw more coal to the fire?.....I've been in trouble here lately... better not. :wink:

#155580  by LIRailfan79

i hope everyone is enjoying this thread, because as soon as a moderator gets wind of it, it will be locked so fast it will make your head spin, lol.

(btw, i'm not saying it should be locked, i never understood why discussing salary is taboo, all i know is that it is).

#156426  by rail

Well, I Just Hired out with CN. I have been with them a month and I can already tell that they pay a lot of money. BUT!!!!!!! they can do anything they want to you the time you are there. For instance you can go from working in the yard to all of a sudden takeing a train out out of town. Or vice versa. Also, their are no Arbs. But in my opinion, I do not care!!! that is a lot of money, and you do not have to fight for any arbs. And the companies would break the contracts anyway, so might as well go for the money!!!

#156433  by jg greenwood

rail wrote:Well, I Just Hired out with CN. I have been with them a month and I can already tell that they pay a lot of money. BUT!!!!!!! they can do anything they want to you the time you are there. For instance you can go from working in the yard to all of a sudden takeing a train out out of town. Or vice versa. Also, their are no Arbs. But in my opinion, I do not care!!! that is a lot of money, and you do not have to fight for any arbs. And the companies would break the contracts anyway, so might as well go for the money!!!
Agreed, the $ is great. Now, if they would/could only develope some sense of "employee relations" they wouldn't be all that difficult to work for! Oh well, we can't have everything, right?

#156436  by 42183

rail,

Where did you hire out at? Can you PM me what the pay and perdiem is during training? I just applied for a trainman position and hoping to hear back from them soon, did you apply on the CN website, if so how long after you applied until you got word from them for an interview?

Thanks.