Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1562173  by NIMBYkiller

LIRR came out with an O&D report back around 2014 with detailed info on ridership broken down by station and time period (peak, off peak, mid day, weekend, etc). Is there anything similar for Metro North?
 #1562176  by Erie-Lackawanna

Yes, it was an MTA HQ-funded study for all three operating agencies. The data gathering for MNR’s piece was done in 2015-2016 and the study data were finalized in 2018, just before I retired from Operations Planning, which was responsible for MNR’s effort.

That data is critical to understanding ridership patterns and planning service changes. The study was done about five years later than it should have been done, due to the Great Recession and resulting financial difficulties. Once the financial pressure eased up, I pushed hard to get the study done because the previous study’s data was horribly out of date.

Of course, after COVID, everything is worthless, and all service planning will be a shot in the dark for years to come.

Jim
 #1562266  by Erie-Lackawanna

You’re welcome.

Having been gone for over 2 years, I can’t say for sure, but if nothing has changed since I retired, it’s not on a web site. You’d need to request it via a FOIL request.

Jim