Railroad Forums 

• Man Hit by Passing Object from Train in Paterson Sues NYSW

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1556639  by CJPat

This sounds fairly implausible. Assuming he was actually standing at a crossing legally, any protruding object extending that far out would be clipping the RR Crossing stanchions at a minimum which would have had signs being knocked down by the train or worse. Therefore, for him to be struck by anything protruding, he would have to be standing within several feet of the track itself (or illegally within the ROW). The closest you can stand to a train is at a station platform as the train goes by and this was not what was reported.

Loads (like lumber, a telephone pole, or something on a flat car) can get loose, but they aren't going to extend more than 3 feet from the car without clipping some unmovable object and causing significant damage.

My money is bet on him trying to catch a ride on the train and falling off. I still don't get the "Run over" part of the claim. Had he been in contact with the wheel sets, he would have had an amputation performed. The story would have acknowledged something that horrendous. They never expanded on that part at all.

So either the story is significantly leaving important details out or it is total fabricated. I call BS on the play..