Railroad Forums 

• CSX school bound but wanna know about a physical

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#150694  by joshmc5150

i'm 2 weeks away from school and was curious about the physical I have stage 1 hypertension my blood pressure is somtimes high, but its controlled with medication. I'm also 27. My question is does csx or any rail company frown on this? I just wanna be completely honest when doing my physcal and drug test. So i may be able to work a dream job
 #150707  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

:P Josh,

What school are you going to? I am in my 4th week at AMDG South in Peachtree City, Ga. We had our physical last week-------we went to a offsite doctors office and did the basic DOT physical. Controlled blood pressure is no problem at all. Just make sure the day you are scheduled for your exam (and you will know what day that is after school starts----just make sure you remember to take your medication early that morning) You will have a hearing test, eye sight test, nut check for a hernia, and have to urinate in a cup so they can check for drugs and to see if you are a diabetic and they will check your blood pressure. They weighed us, measured how tall we are and did a balance check with your eyes closed-your head tilted back your arms straight out. The doctor taps on your shoulders to try to get you off balance.

As far as the real drug test goes we had that during our secound week of school-we had a nurse come in and clipped a huge hair sample from us to test for drugs---this test goes farther back.

You need to start studying the proper signals for your division ---you will have to write these word for words before you get out. The sooner the better. Most guys remember them by writitng them out over and over and over.

Good luck

Nashvillie Newbie

#150725  by joshmc5150

Thank you so much! I'm actually attending the marshall university school in WV. I've actually got the signals down but I still have 2 weeks (Aug 8th) before I go to school. So everyday i'm studying i printed out both sets of signals twice the first set I printed, I cut off the name and indication so it allows me to view only the picture and rule # along with writing them 3 times a day has helped greatly. I recommend the first two anybody.
 #150747  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Josh,

With you having the signals down you are good to go!!!! The average age in our class is around 27 or 28 so you will be in like flin.

What division will you be working?

Nashville Newbie
 #150749  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Josh,

I don't know about MARSHALL but the AMDG signal test is EXACTLY like you have been doing it------it goes from the very first rule clear===procede to the very last rule in that exact order. So in other words if you know your rules in order that may help you in taking your test.

NN

#150829  by joshmc5150

Thanks Nashville-newbie! Well to answer the first question. I will be in WV working the Coalfields. I think i will be using the chessie system signals but I have noticed that seaboard has like maybe 3 or 4 signals more than chessie and has slightly different signal masts. I always heard studying the signals was the most important part. I have actually studied to the point that I can go backwards and fowards incase they decide to mix things up on me.
 #151244  by CSX Conductor

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote:: As far as the real drug test goes we had that during our secound week of school-we had a nurse come in and clipped a huge hair sample from us to test for drugs---this test goes farther back.
This is a new practice that was just started this year, is it safe to assume you mean the test can check back further in time for evidence of drugs? I believe that it can go back about 5 years.

#151285  by Chris_S68

Seems a bit heavy-handed to me, but I guess it's their railroad. Are all the railroads doing this these days?
My understanding is that such tests go back 90 days to 6 months, though other factors come into play. I suppose it could trace back 5 years, if you haven't had a haircut for that long! :wink:

#151288  by joshmc5150

Well the drug test is nothing to worry. I dont do drugs. But having worked with the same instrument that the lab would use to detect drugs. A GC instrument is very very accurate. I used this in detecting for alot of EPA related tests mainly pesticides, herbicides type of anaylsis. But seeing they could go back 5 years would be a very skilled analyst performing the job. I'm not sure what the DOT requires or rail companies for that matter. But I typically been tested between 90 days to 6 months on a few jobs.

#151527  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Sorry----

Sorry about the confusion-I don't know how far back they check for drugs-they test your hair because you can purchase masking liquids-pills online to throw a urine test off. Also the nurse that took our hair samples told us that she does alot of work for all railroads and that THE DRUG HEADS ON THE RAILS are shaving their entire body from head to toe. BUT she stated that when they do have a incident or get called by the FRA to take a drug test guess where they get the hair from??????????????

YOUR ANUS! So if you see any bald headed completely shaven dudes on the rails watch out.

Nashville Newbie

#152041  by Guest

NASHVILLE-NEWBIE wrote: BUT she stated that when they do have a incident or get called by the FRA to take a drug test guess where they get the hair from??????????????

YOUR ANUS! So if you see any bald headed completely shaven dudes on the rails watch out.
Another disadvantage to a hairy anus.

-r

#152084  by SteelWheels21

Haha, that reminds me of when I applied for BNSF and they did the hair sample, the guy ahead of me had a head shinier than a cue ball. Indeed, they took him in another room and got a sample from...well, somewhere else. Presumably they allowed him to use the scissors while they looked on.

#152726  by joshmc5150

I dunno they sent a form with them requesting the size of the boots we need. So i'm not sure exactly. Hahahaha

#152728  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Josh-

Yea you will be getting a pair-it sounds like. You need to take Razor's advice about gloves---get a nice pair of leather gloves( not the real thick ones) and do some yard work (grass cutting) or somrthing to break them in. This is for your field training and when you are hanging off the side of car you want gloves to fit properly-----especially not to loose. You may have field training before or after your phyisical. haha

Nashville Newbie