Railroad Forums 

• recommended boots?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#151647  by joshmc5150

I know some companies make allowances for boots, but what does everyone perfer to wear? Comfort or wear or something of the such.

#151663  by thebigc

Depends on what service you're in . I'm in train service and after all, they're my feet so I spare no expense. I'm partial to either Red Wing or Mason boots. All the stuff on the company shoe truck are steel toed and I can't stand them so I pay retail. And I have a rotation of three pairs so I don't have to worry if a pair gets soaked. For winter, I have a pair of pack boots I did get off the shoe truck but they have a polycarbonate toe and are warm and comfy. And waterproof.

Two things a railroader can't skimp on: boots and tires.

#151932  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

MR.---THE BIG C

We were issued Red Wings (steel toes) from AMDG in Peachtree City Ga. Is it mandatory that we wear steel toes as a conductor for CSX-I know you don't work that line-but I have read alot of your post and can tell you have your marbles in place.

Thanks

Nashville Newbie

#151968  by thebigc

You're right, I don't work for CSX. Depends on who you ask about the marbles thing. Steel toes are encouraged here at NJ Transit but aren't mandatory (thank God). I've got EEE feet and besides that steel toes are cold as the dickens in the winter. The cold factor might not be such an issue in Georgia.

If you're a new hire, your best bet is to do what they tell you to do, especially if you're on probation.

#152025  by Guest

If you drop a train on your foot, steel toes won't help you...

Any good quality boot will do that you like. Look for waterproof and a hard sole. Don't buy anything from Wal-Mart.

-r

#152042  by slchub

Redwings are great. Have worn them the past two years. The Redwing "steel toe" boots do tend to get cold in the winter, especially in the snow. I would dare venture to say that they will get cold when you are working the yard there in ATL or running the line. I remember the cold mornings in ATL.

All the best.

#152085  by SteelWheels21

There's a company out here in Portland, Danner, that makes the most comfortable work boots I've ever worn. Their standard model costs 175, steel toed with gore-tex feels like you're walking in slippers. I highly recommend them.

#152123  by thebigc

Yes, I've heard Danner makes nice boots. Haven't tried a pair.

One thing I have found out the hard way is that Timberland ain't what they used to be. :(

#152157  by freshmeat

For what it's worth, look in your safety instructions. BNSF mandates steel toes and in fact has only a few "approved" boots they will pay for unless you can find a shoe dealer willing to fudge the paperwork.

I own two pairs of Red Wings. Love both of them, no break in at all. One regular steel toe, the second is insulated with Gore Tex and additional water proofing. Used them one day last winter at 6 above and did not have much problem, no snow on the ground either. Also, BNSF has a program where you can order winter packer boots for free. BNSF uses "Chet's Boots." They pay 100%. I think you get one pair every 2 - 3 years. That may be worth looking into as well.

Boots are the one item you cannot go cheap on. Walking an 8500 feet long stack train in Needles, CA or Newton, KS, you want good boots. This is one time where no expense can be spared.

Good luck.

P.S. Look for UnderArmor skull cap or hood to wear in the winter. Great product! Keeps you head warm and the wind out. Tends to fog your safety glasses over though.

#152343  by nate

I've worn redwings bascially for a good 10-15 years and they are very comfortable and long lasting. I can tell you the non-steel toe ones get cold too, especially if there is snow around.

#152361  by Guest

I'm not sure if this is allowed, and frankly I'm to lazy to read the rules...

I bought some boots from these folks. Some pretty good deals if you know what you are looking for: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/

-r