Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

I heard the the LIRR wants to sideline 4 of the DM's. I am not sure of all of the numbers, but the 503 is one of them. Also there is a rumor to decomission one of the DE's. Someone at a meeting actually asked if they plan on using the the MP15's in revenue service again. Five of the new engines is a good chunk of the new fleet gone. I am waiting for the LIRR to admit that these unique engines were indeed a mistake. The MP15's are still in relatively good shape and they outlived some of the engines that replaced them. More than often they are called upon to rescue the the new fleet somewhere.

by li7039

they should turn 503 into a cab car like the lirr did to the Fa's

by AmtrakPhill629

I think that LIRR made an excellent decision to bring the DE/DM's to Long Island. I think that DE/DM would be better than Gp38's and MP15's if they were built properly.

by Clemuel

The others are just itching to join it on the scrap line. And it wouldn't be soon enough for the Railroad...

Clem

by de402

Clemuel wrote:The others are just itching to join it on the scrap line. And it wouldn't be soon enough for the Railroad...

Clem
for real? i doubt that the LIRR could get away with sticking 1 billion$$ worth of taxpayer money on the scrapline... although our president has been able to hoodwink the country into going to war over a bunch of lies, many good kids killed for nothing, taxpayer money pissed away in the sand and gets away with it... so hey.. i guess i answered my own question

by LIRRNOVA55

Maybe that could be why they kept the 3100 for all these years to, so oneday when the 15's are rebuilt to use them again. That sure would be nice. .

by tushykushy

There is no reason to turn 503 into a cab car. I think that is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard. They already have cab cars, you don't need to turn that into one.

You can't blame them for sidlining some "extra" engines.

I really wouldn't blame them resorting to the 1500's. They're easy to trouble shoot and they've been dealing with them for a couple of decades now. With the "slugs" it's only been what 5 years? Not everyone knows everything about them.

by badneighbor

it would be a 4 billion dollar cabbage!!!

by emfinite

Why would the RR turn the 503 into a cab car? They have enough of those ugly things, too. They are sidlining these engines for a reason, because they are surplus and don't have a use for them. Why pay to maintain something that is not used?

Joe

by M1 9147

503 is a write off, and only the LIRR will decide to either send it back to EMD to be rebuilt, or to get trashed in total. Right now it is a parts supply loco for others that need them as well as the other surplus engines stored at Morris Park. The main reason for it being in this condition is the frame being melted due to the fire at Greenlawn in 2000, so a total rebuild would have to be done to put this engine back in service which I believe these engines are no longer under warranty now.

by Long Island 7285

doesent the stripping of an engine void it's warenty?

ex. when you buy somthing, when it brakes tamper with it, and then try to get a new one under warenty.

by emfinite

The other engines being put aside at Morris Park are NOT for parts.

Joe

by AmtrakPhill629

I would prefer it get sent back to EMD to be rebuilt. why would you want to make one of the greatest diesels into a cab car?

by 9C1LT1

Hi Everyone,

"Greatest Diesels" I don't know about that... They have an excellent prime-mover though! I'd take the 503 over those cab control coaches! Atleast it's got a 5 chime, well it's got a place to mount one anyway :wink:

-Barry

by M1 9147

Barry, there is no chime, or bell on it right now, so rebuilding is the thing for it now.