Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

I noticed a DE and a DM on the deadline with tarps covering the roof fans, etc. Are they being sent out for a warrenty repair?

Also noticed 2 M1 alcohol cars near the shop ( dont know what the shop name is) towards the rear of the yard.

by li7039

one got to be 503 which caught fire a while ago and i think that that is a write off

that shop is morris park

those M1s are 9001 and 9002 the flagship pair of the M1s
Last edited by li7039 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

by BMC

I heard 9001 and 9002 are supposed to go a RR museum in the future.

by li7039

WELL RMLI HAS NO ROOM

by Long island Joe

We Have No Room at RMLI

by KFRG

Good, they would just be left to rot like the P72's they have out there. They would be better off at one of the electric traction museums around the NE.

by BobLI

No, the M1's I saw have vents on the end of the car. The vents are cut into the car body. 9001-9002 are on the dead line. These M1's were outside a building towards the rear of the yard. Its hard to see the number boards on those 2 m1's which were seperated-not married pair.

I Diesel was a 400 number the other was a 500 number

by LIRRNOVA55

If they have vents there probly alcohol cars or sandite cars

by emfinite

The DE/DM30s on 1 track in Morris Park are being mothballed since there are a surplus of them. A total of 5 are supposed to be, but those 2 are for now. The numbers of the DE/DMs are 415 and 521. The 158 was taken off the deadline and moved upstairs to Richmond Hill to be completely rebuilt. The two M1 cars with the vents on the windows are the alcohol and sandite cars, numbers E-401 and E-591. The M1 cars on 1 track are the 9001 and 9002, supposedly going to RMLI.

Joe

by Long Island 7285

I just love it how the LIRR even has the brass set to mothball a DE/DM unit with the idea to mothball 4 more of each. then we get people that complain that there is not enough east end service, well i hate to say it, but maby if you dont pull 2 perfictly operable engines and actullu use that "surplus" to "surplus" the LIRRs service, things might be better off for the people who use this railroad.

did they mothball any geep's? and FA's? and 1500's when they were in active service.

by M1 9147

503, and not 501 is the write off. I've been mentioning it countless, and countless amount of times guys!

by Long Island 7285

Neil, I think all we know you want 503 and your garden nome :-D :-D :-D

by AmtrakPhill629

One day I hope i could buy a DE/DM's from LIRR. :-D

by LIRRNOVA55

by the time there done with them there gonna be a pile of kindling. .

by M1 9147

Thanks for that reply, Joe. Don't we wish it was a part of my garden LOL!