• My idea for connecting the LIRR to Roosevelt Feild and HUB

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

For the light rail, would it be at grade or elevated or a Monorail of some sort? Kinda like the People Mover is Jacksonville, FL?
NIMBYkiller wrote:One of One-Sixty: You can just combine the Coliseum and Marriot stops. They are right next to each other(despite what mapquest shows)
I know that they are right next to each other, but they are also kinda seperated. So the stop at the front door of the Coliseum entering from Earle Ovington would not be a waste really.

Check out this Aerial Photo of the Coliseum and the Marriot. This is what I am basing my route on. Of course because there is nothing going on usually during the day the bus would only service this stop once every other trip or every 2 trips for example the bus comes by at 0844hrs and then it will not be back around till 1144hrs unless there is an event going on during the day that would require more frequent stops, like the circus that have shows through out the day.
NIMBYkiller wrote:As for the Source Mall, it is served by the N78, N79, and N35...and maybe even the N22, not sure on that one though. The N92(hub shuttle) doesn't serve it any more, which, IMO, is stupid.
Thanks, I know that there ia a bus that goes down Old Country Rd, but I figured that it only stopped on Old Country Rd and not actually going on the property of the mall.
NIMBYkiller wrote:Honestly, I love your bus idea. I think that the routing is decent for the hub. Perhaps some runs can skip certain sections in order to speed up the trip.

One part of my plan though involves extending the Bronze spur to Merrick Av, which includes a stop right at the Source Mall. Also, I plan for a stop at the first crossing with Zeckendorf(the one closer to the mall), where a shuttle bus will loop around the mall stopping at door fronts as well as the main bus terminal.
Thanks, you know going through the plans since I have the proposed "Shoppers Run" shuttle, I could elimnate a stop on the Hub shuttle at either mall since it would be already serviced by the shuttle. I would probably say Roosevelt Field and just have it stop on Transverse Blvd between the Source and Costco.

The "Shoppers Run" shuttle it would hit each Major Dept Store Main Entrance where it is accessible at both the Source and Roosevelt Field as well as a loop through the plaza with Tower Record and Barnes & Noble.
Last edited by One of One-Sixty on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RPM2Night

That's a pretty cool map!

by NIMBYkiller

It wouldn't be light rail, it'd be heavy rail. That way it could be more easily expanded onto the existing LIRR infrastructure. It'd probably be mostly at grade with a few grade eliminated crossings.

And none of the current buses go onto the mall property, they just stop on the street near the mall(Old Country Rd for the N78/N79 and Ellison Av for the N35)

by Mr rt

"... at grade ... heavy rail ... to Roosevelt Field ..."

Nope, those store owners aren't going to want those potential shoppers in their cars
delayed by a dam train crossing the road.

Think for a minute who is going to have more money in their pocket, the group in the car
of the train rider ... enough said ????

by RPM2Night

If the train is bringing people from western Long Island and potentially NYC, the people coming in on the train will have plenty of money to spend.

by One of One-Sixty

NIMBYkiller wrote:It wouldn't be light rail, it'd be heavy rail. That way it could be more easily expanded onto the existing LIRR infrastructure. It'd probably be mostly at grade with a few grade eliminated crossings.

And none of the current buses go onto the mall property, they just stop on the street near the mall(Old Country Rd for the N78/N79 and Ellison Av for the N35)
I think if they was single level DMUs then then it would be possible as they are versitble and can be used on both light and heavy rail.

by One of One-Sixty

Mr rt wrote:"... at grade ... heavy rail ... to Roosevelt Field ..."

Nope, those store owners aren't going to want those potential shoppers in their cars
delayed by a dam train crossing the road.

Think for a minute who is going to have more money in their pocket, the group in the car
of the train rider ... enough said ????
Your also forgetting that he also stated that there would be some grade elminatins for crossing, so most likely either the RR or the roads would be elevated or sunken so that trains are not holding up traffic too much if any.

BTW your forgetting that alot of ppl take then train, the rich, the poor, the average joe schomo family with an average income.

With gas prices steadily raising, who to say that we will not be paying $3 a gallon in gas? That will defintely drive some people off the road and to other forms and convient of transportation.

Right now using regular 89-92 gas it cost me $38-45 dollars to fill up an 18.5 gallon gas tank which is roughly $150-180 a month in gas. For me it is cheaper to buy a monthly railpass and travel by train, and I am sure it is like that for other people who like to save money and not spend it all on gas as I see some pumps where a person just shelled out $50 bucks only to get 3/4 and so forth.

The rich like to save money too and not spend it all on gas.