• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

RenegadeMonster wrote:Saw a 4 car set at North Station tonight that has 3 Double Deckers in the consist.
That set is still roaming the north side. It was on 302 this morning. 1802 is the cab car.
  by Type 7 3684

The 4 car set with 3 bi-level cars (1802-R-R-3xx-2025) is still running on the north side. Saw it this morning in Waltham.
  by RenegadeMonster

1715 is still on the North Side. It has had a much longer stay than I would have expected.
  by RenegadeMonster

I have heard that they will conducting passenger counts on the North Side soon in preparation for the the Spring Schedule and assigning set requirements for trains.

I would imagine that means we will probably see the 5X bi-level passenger count train very soon. Anyone have more info?
  by MBTA3247

I can't speak for the count train (which may also be involved), but I do know they're planning to use tabulators for the upcoming passenger counts (which are system-wide).
  by Diverging Route

Four car flat (including 512 potty car) on 327 last evening. At least it was pulled by an HSP (zoom zoom)!
  by RenegadeMonster

That four car flat set was on 160 this morning.

Also, updating the set from 192 this morning. It was 1650-353-832-1720-"F40-2C". Didn't get the number of the engine, but was able to get the rest of the car numbers including the control cabs number when I got off at North Station.
  by Diverging Route

The 1720 set has 2016 on the other end.

There’s another 17xx North, mid-set with an 800 plus three flats.
  by RenegadeMonster

Seems like we have an unusually high abundance of 9xx cars on the north side at this time. NETTransit lists 910, 915, 918, 923 as of May 25th, but I was on 913 yesterday so we know that one has made it's way north now as well.

Most of this week I have landed on sets where the only Double decker is a 9xx, and it's been months since I have been on one as there really hasn't been more than 1 9xx on the north side at a time for months now.
  by Diverging Route

I'm guessing this might be related to the temporary shut-down of the Grand Junction. Cars come north for maintenance, and it's easier to use them north than send them on the round-the-world route back south.
  by RenegadeMonster

Passed a 4 car set on the south side of the Salem tunnel this morning that has 3 double deckers.