Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1466640  by doublestack

Here are several photo's of the new bridge. It showing the lift deck severs as both road and rail use. Note the vehicle crossing gates on both sides of the lift. When a train is approaching, the
the lift is lowered to the lower position for rail traffic.

photo's: 
https://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=sara ... tion=click" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1466641  by deathtopumpkins

Interesting! I stand corrected.

This seems like a weird way to do this. I know train traffic isn't exactly regular over the bridge, but this design seems to be more maintenance intensive and will require the road to be closed whenever a train comes through, which was not the case with the old bridge.

I'm very curious why they went with this approach.
 #1466686  by MaineCoonCat

Almost as good as setting the wayback machine..

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=84166&p=1230698&hi ... k#p1230464
mr-peabody-sherman-1960s.jpg
 #1466698  by ereuter

I will be giving a talk tomorrow evening at 7 at the Kittery Lions Club on the history of Kittery's railroads, including a good deal of bridge content. I'll show a bunch of additional photos of the state of the rail deck on the Kittery side as well. This stuff will eventually get into my Sarah Long construction blog, but I haven't had a chance to update it recently.

You're all welcome to attend the talk. It's free and open to the public.
 #1466764  by b&m 1566

deathtopumpkins wrote:Interesting! I stand corrected.

This seems like a weird way to do this. I know train traffic isn't exactly regular over the bridge, but this design seems to be more maintenance intensive and will require the road to be closed whenever a train comes through, which was not the case with the old bridge.

I'm very curious why they went with this approach.
It was designed that way, so the bridge wouldn't have to be raised up for nearly every boat that passes under it and will allow for more uninterrupted traffic flow than the old one. The 2 to 3 round trip trains a year, will never amount to the closers the old bridge had to allow small vessels to pass underneath.
 #1467391  by Allouette

Sarah Mildred Long bridge opened to vehicle traffic March 31.

The old bridge had a slider section on the lower (railroad) level that opened a path for small boats, but only cleared about 35 feet. The new bridge has considerably more clearance with the roadway in place, as well as having the higher opening mid-channel.
 #1467446  by arthur d.

Just did a test drive. The deck is higher and wider than the old one. The travel lanes are further from the center line, thus, you aren't driving with two wheels in the track gauge. They even thought of a shoulder so the bridge operator can drive up and park next to the control house.
 #1467517  by eustis22

Can someone clarify for me if the track that passes under 95 north of the hampton tolls is the Portsmouth Branch? For some reason I though that branch was further north.
 #1467533  by MEC407

Recent article in the Press Herald states that the bridge cables are already showing signs of wear and twisting/stretching. Hope they can figure that out quickly and put a stop to it, otherwise this will be a very high-maintenance bridge. The initial price tag already makes it the most expensive bridge in ME or NH history, and by a pretty wide margin too.
 #1467536  by jaymac

eustis22 wrote:Can someone clarify for me if the track that passes under 95 north of the hampton tolls is the Portsmouth Branch? For some reason I though that branch was further north.
Per GEarth, the Portsmouth Branch passes under I-95 at +/- 43°03'N 70°48'W
 #1467544  by ereuter

The switch for the new bridge is going in today/tomorrow. Also some work being done in the yard, but I didn't investigate what, exactly.