Railroad Forums 

• New York Subway freight connection with outside world?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1455946  by Backshophoss

What remains of the South Brooklyn RY is connected to NJNY,and NY&A at Bay Ridge,used for the Subway Diesel loco deliveries.
Unionport Yard(Bronx) might have been a New Haven/NYW&B interchange in the past.
The other possible connection is from the Bay Ridge Branch at Livonia ave area /Linden ave shop connection(IRT/BMT)
Subway cars were on flatcars went moved on the RR's,some of the newer cars have been moved as "High-Wide" loads on lowboy trailers.
 #1455982  by TomNelligan

Backshophoss wrote:Unionport Yard(Bronx) might have been a New Haven/NYW&B interchange in the past.
When the NYW&B was abandoned and its Bronx trackage became the NYCTA's Dyre Avenue Line, a single track connection was left in place between the NH Harlem River branch (which had been used by the Westchester) and the new subway branch via the original NYW&B viaduct. This rail/subway connection was used for delivery of some or all of the IRT Redbirds as documented by a news photo that appeared in the early 1960s in Trains Magazine. I don't know when the Bronx connection was removed, but it was quite a few years ago.
 #1455997  by Otto Vondrak

mohawkrailfan wrote:I'm surprised - I always assumed there was a connection in Yonkers.
That's random.

Subway cars don't get moved on their own wheels, but they are often shipped by rail on heavy duty flatcars.

-otto-