• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Larry

TLM is all done in Windsor CT. Completed double track up to Island Road today. The remaining track to north will be done the old fashion way. I believe I heard someone say the TLM will be heading to Rhode Island right after this but not sure.
  by BandA

Why are they using a TLM south of Windsor, CT, but using less efficient methods north of there?
  by Larry

They used the TLM for about 40 or 45 or so miles from New Haven up to Windsor. The portion North of Windsor is only about 1/2 mile left to connect Island Road to Central Street and just beyond where double track begins again and goes to almost Windsor Locks. From that point in Windsor Locks to Springfield will be in phase two I believe and not sure when that will kick off. For most part, dbl track from New Haven to Hartford Union Station where it goes to single track and then North of the station it will be dbl track to Windsor/ Windsor Locks.
  by slc1234

i am currently working on the Batchelder Street bridge for the contractor that is doing all the site work, right now we are looking at a completion date in two weeks and then the Amtrak crews will follow up behind us to lay the rail. Last we heard they were having some design issues with the next phase and it was going to be a year before any work will start, everyone was really hoping we would just continue northward but it doesn't look like that will be happening.
  by asull85

As of 10/15...

Track 2 is in service in its entirety from Mill River to Willow

Quarry Interlocking has been removed

562 territory has been extended upto Willow on Track 2

Track 1 is out of service between Holt and Willow for 562 cut in
  by shadyjay

I rode 54 yesterday from NYP to WAB and yes, we were on Track 2 up to Willow, north of Berlin. What a smooth ride on that new track! Stations are looking pretty good, too, complete with CTRail AND Amtrak messaging boards.

For some unknown reason, we were delayed right around the state line. What makes no sense is that the delay was after Field and we were right on the beginning of Track 2. 57 passed us and we were still delayed for several minutes. Unless there was some MOW activity going on but I didn't observe any crews. And this was still several miles shy of the Spring interlocking, so not sure what the delay was. This was our second delay of the trip, as we were delayed in BPT for a while due to a brake issue.

Second track mostly laid from Hartford yard up to Windsor, though not quite to the station itself to tie into Windsor interlocking. There's a bridge just south of the station and we veered into the Track 2 ROW for it, still being worked on. South of there, the 2nd track is in place.

Nice to see good progress of the Springfield Line!
  by Kilo Echo

shadyjay wrote:Stations are looking pretty good, too, complete with CTRail AND Amtrak messaging boards.
The Wallingford and Meriden stations are open already?
  by shadyjay

Negative. There are temporary single-door "platforms" at Berlin, Meriden, and Wallingford. Berlin's is at the south end of the old platform, Meriden's is on the old Brook Street grade crossing, and Wallingford is at the south end of the old station's platform.
  by asull85

Part of the Meriden high level platform on Track 2 goes into service on Monday morning. Please mind the gap...
  by Larry

Siding for the Salt has been placed back in and looks really great with the new retaining wall that was built for this customer located in the North Meadows North of Hartford. Just in time as winter is just around the corner and salt cars hopefully will be on there way soon. CSO could use the business.
  by east point

Is Amtrak going to issue a timetable change to note the obvious time changes ? Just happens to almost coincide with end of Daylight savings time.
  by asull85

I don't think they plan on adjusting any times until the work is completed and the speeds are increased.
  by Larry

Spotted in Hartford CT yard on new track #four are 17 brand new looking Amtrak Hopper cars in yellow paint and have solar panels on them. They have been there a few days now with no engine in site and I can't tell if they' re loaded or unloaded. To me they look unloaded of any ballast at this time. Not sure how long they will stay graffiti free based on their location in the yard.