Railroad Forums 

• My first hiring session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#144503  by Lake State ALCohaulic

Well, come Wednesday the 13th I'm going back to Elkhart, IN for my first hiring session for conductor with Norfolk Southern. I'd like tips from someone who's been to one of their hiring sessions. What can I expect? I'm only 18 and I have NO job history. The recruiter told me none of that was a problem. I sort of feel I might have an edge because I've always had an avid interest in becoming a railroader and nothing else. Any input would be appreciated.

#144505  by SteelWheels21

You may want to keep that "avid interest" under wraps during the interview process, a lot of railroad types look at "foamers" with a little disdain. Your age shouldn't work against you if you come off as mature.

BTW, are you a Lake State fan? I did some growing up on the Eastern shore of Michigan and remember quite well the Detroit & Mackinac and their awesome collection of Alcos. My mom still lives there and I always ask if the trains still run, it seems like that branch is holding on by the skin of its teeth.

#144525  by Lake State ALCohaulic

Yeah I am a fan of Lake State Railway and those old Alcos. Don't see many railroads that have an all Alco roster like Lake State.

By the way, how would I go about talking to the interviewer without having a good interest in the job? Would'nt they like the fact that you're interested in the job?

#144600  by rail

Maybe just say things like big equipment has always interested me, or the transportation industry seems like a place for me. DO NOT TALK ABOUT BEING A FAN EVER EVER EVER. Think of safety related and heavy equipment situations you have been in the past, and relate that as best as you can. GOOD LUCK.

#144745  by Guest

I don't want to discourage you, but your recruiter lied to you. Your lack of work history is going to be a real problem for you. All of the conductor trainees that I've met on the NS are older, with long stable work histories, most of them managers and supervisors.

Keep in mind that the railroad is very serious business. The NS in particular, is a <i>very</i> serious company.

You have to think like the railroad -- As a conductor, you are in charge of the crew and everything that happens on or to that train. <b>It's your train. You are 100% responsible for everything.</b>. Can you handle that? Even an empty train is worth millions of dollars. A loaded train can have anything on it, including nuclear material, hazardous material and military equipment. If you screw up as a conductor, you can literally kill thousands of people and cause billions of dollars worth of damage. Would you put you in charge of that?

What the railroad really wants to know about you is: Will you show up for work? Do you have leadership ability? Are you responsible?

How could you best present yourself to convince that railroad that you'll show up for work and be responsible in your duties?

I doubt you'll get past the initial hiring stage, but if you do manage to actually get and interview, tell them you have an interest in rail transportation and that you are very serious about a career with the railroad.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh - best of luck!
-r