Railroad Forums 

• AAPRCO Private Rail Car Owner Special

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1444577  by TB Diamond

Understand there was a private car special operated on the FGLK utilizing Amtrak power on Saturday, Speptember 16.

Does anyone have specifics about this special that they are willing to share?

Thank you.
 #1444590  by CP4743

AAPRCO has their annual convention in Burlington, VT this year. As part of the convention they always run a trip to the convention with all the participating private cars. I believe there were 18 private cars this year. Power was AMTK 822-111. The train was assembled in Albany-Rensselaer, NY and ran to Utica, Thendara, Utica on Day 1. Day 2 was Utica to Geneva via Schenectady, Binghamton, Corning. Day 3 was Geneva to Solvay and back. Day 4 was Geneva to Corning, Binghamton, Schenectady, Rensselaer, Springfield, MA, Bellows Falls, VT and Rutland, VT. Day 5 was Rutland to Burlington where the train is now.
 #1444591  by Otto Vondrak

All part of their annual convention activities.

http://www.aaprco.com/conventions/2017-convention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1444934  by SST

Not knowing anything about owning a private car.......can an owner call CSX or NS and say I want to go to Florida?
 #1444937  by ExCon90

He would need to call Amtrak to arrange for handling of his car in a scheduled train. For a special (like this one) consisting of a number of private cars with different owners, that would probably be handled by AAPRCO with Amtrak over routes where Amtrak operates; I believe that movements over regional or short lines would be arranged with the individual railroads. A car owner would undoubtedly be an AAPRCO member and would know the drill.
 #1444968  by Otto Vondrak

SST wrote:Not knowing anything about owning a private car.......can an owner call CSX or NS and say I want to go to Florida?
Yes, CSX or NS can haul your car anywhere like any other freight shipment, but you won't be able to ride in it. Your private car can only be added to Amtrak trains at locations where they already have Amtrak switch crews and Amtrak car inspectors available.

-otto-