Railroad Forums 

• Does 1 engineman make the entire run - NYP - WAS?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1435662  by STrRedWolf

Assume an 8 hour shift, NYP to WAS on the Northeast Regional.

It's 3 hours from NYP to WAS, with all the stops. One hour break for food at the downstairs eateries or around the rest hotel (CSX did the same w/MARC, so I bet Amtrak, Bombardier, and VRE are similar), pop into the equipment, get it set up for the run back to NYP, and go.

Not sure about BOS to WAS or even further south, though. I think that'll get tight, and you'll get only one run down or a split run and swap in PHL.
 #1435668  by Amtrak7

STrRedWolf wrote:Assume an 8 hour shift, NYP to WAS on the Northeast Regional.

It's 3 hours from NYP to WAS, with all the stops. One hour break for food at the downstairs eateries or around the rest hotel (CSX did the same w/MARC, so I bet Amtrak, Bombardier, and VRE are similar), pop into the equipment, get it set up for the run back to NYP, and go.

Not sure about BOS to WAS or even further south, though. I think that'll get tight, and you'll get only one run down or a split run and swap in PHL.
I'm pretty sure that every train which operates through NYP has a crew change in NYP.
 #1435683  by Noel Weaver

Engine crews worked NY - WASH through probably since the beginning of electrified operation and maybe longer. With regard to NY - BOST engines and engine crews were always changed at New Haven. When the FL9's came on the scene in the late 1950's the power went through on some trains but in all cases the engine crew was changed. Once in a great white in an emergency a crew member would be sent through but it seldomed occurred. Since the wires went up to Boston I believe most if not all of the Acela Express trains and probably some of the others as well the engineer runs through New Haven.
 #1435709  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. BOY From NYC, who apparently now resides somewhere around Tucson, the Amtrak NHV Passenger Engineer (that's how the position with Amtrak is titled) Base is likely, as Mr. R36 notes, a New Haven RR vestige. There are enough trains on the Corridor that most crews, save the last run of the evening, be held on continuous time at away from home and still get home within HOS.

Now what was problematic for the New Haven (thoughts Mr. Weaver) with their "five a day" into Penn was that assignments had to be separate trips resulting in 200 miles (100mi minimum - the so called "days pay") being paid for 150 miles of work. Into GCT, they had no such problem - 144 mi worked and paid.

There is operational efficiency for Amtrak with a NHV Train and Engine base in that there are Springfield trains and a "just in case" on the Shore Line someone will die before reaching NYP.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1435807  by Noel Weaver

On the New Haven Penn jobs were not as few as 5 trains a day at least not dating back to my earliest timetables which date back to the early 1920's. You can't go by public timetables because mail and Railway Express were big operations. Back in the early 1930's there were 2 or 3 solid Railway Express trains in and out of the Express shed in Harlem River with cars of express shipments headed to all sorts of exotic destinations in the northeast. Until AC electrification was completed between Harold and Penn Station New Haven trains were operated by PRR engineers in this area although NHRR conductors and trainmen continued to Penn Station. During this period the motors were based at Oak Point and engine crews laid over or reported there. I have employee timetables from this period and when I get a chance I will check for more.
Another thing we also handled both mail and especially express out of Sunnyside Yard as well as stuff coming through Penn Station. The Harl River Branch mignt have been considered a branch but there were and still are plenty of trains.
Noel Weaver
 #1435825  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Weaver, putting on my "Carrier" hat, how during 1964 "we snuck it by 'em" advertising jobs holding crews on continuous time away from home so we could pay the lesser over-mile rate on all over 100, escapes me.

Putting on my "Chairman" hat, "why didn't we call 'em out on that cheap trick to beat our men out of their pay?"

When I said "five a day", I was thinking of the three named trains allowing two more for "off the PTT" Mail & Express. If there were more at "The End", then I guess the continuous time practice was more "doable" at Penn.