Railroad Forums 

• Tattoos and piercings?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#100697  by JasonP

I was wondering if either tattoos or piercings are looked down upon in a RR environment?

I'm sure a piercing couldn't have dangling jewelry, but if the piece was the type that hugged close to the skin, is it a big deal?

As for tattoos, I have a few, and I've planned for more. I figured a fair percentage of railroaders have them, but since I'm still in training, I honestly have no idea.

Sorry for the randomness. :P

#100707  by Swedish Meatball

Jason you have every kind of person working on the rails. I would not suggest going to an interview with a tank top and showing how much ink you have though. I would imagine mutiple facial piercings would also be frowned upon. Once you get hired though anything goes.

#100715  by AmtrakFan

Don't wear any pearcing jewely to work or your interview.

#100739  by Avro Arrow

Like many jobs requiring you to work around machinery, piercings of any kind are usually prohibited for safety reasons.

Tattoos will always knock a few points off of you in an interview. Try and cover them up with long sleeves. Once you're hired, nobody will care.

#100970  by SnoozerZ49

I can tell you that in passenger service facial piercings and ear rings are not permitted. Women and men can only wear stud earrings in both ears if they match. In general large amounts of piercings and "off beat" hair is considered a sign of immaturity and would probably disqualify someone from consideration.

#102049  by CSX Conductor

So what Snoozer means is if you want to go int passenger service, have the piercing somewhere that is not in plain view to the public.............like your Johnson or something. haha. :P

#102362  by freshmeat

I had a guy that I interviewed with for BNSF who had rather large diameter ear peircings and a lot of tattoos. He got the job and is one of the best people I have had the pleasure to work with. BNSF didn't care. In fact, the trainmaster in Needles, California has a lot of tattoos and several piercings if I remember right.

#102891  by SnoozerZ49

CSX, ouch! I for one plan on leaving my drawbar to manufacturer specs! :wink:

My remarks were only meant to describe what the company would say for passenger service. I agree with Freshmeat when it comes to freight, more important reasons come up to judge a person. Tattoos and piercings aren't even on the list!

#117644  by 10wheeler

NS rule 1001 [1.4] Employees are prohibited from working: While wearing finger rings, earings, facial rings, or other articles of adornment or clothing that may be snagged when the employee handles material/equipment or works around machinery, cars or other equipment.

Any rule in the book can/will be used against you in the event of any accident no mater how hard they have to stretch it to make it work. Doesn't say anything about ink.

#142723  by GN_RS-3

Yea, dont be like me and get the GN logo tatoo'd to your back..... :wink:

#143276  by Guest

Consider getting one of those fake tattoos custom made with the company logo. Put it on your forehead.

-r