Railroad Forums 

• New hire advice for a Conductor trainee with NS?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#129792  by TheBaran

Congrats on the training. They reimburse travel on a mileage basis. However, you can fly on your own dime and then submit for mileage-based reimbursement. Works out better for longer distances (I was able to fly pretty cheap from Newark, NJ). First day is a lot of videos. Don't really hit the ground until about day 3. Toward the end of the training, class will start (one day only) during the early morning (4 am or so) so you can work hand signals in the dark with flares and lanterns. When I was there, the NS safety spies were not around. However, rumor had it that they normally lurk in the nearby pine trees ready to pounce on the slightest safety violation.

NS provides meal tickets; pretty good deal. The pizza buffet restaurant is great (I think it is called CiCis). There is also a local restaurant that is somewhat of a shack with dirt parking lot and picnic bench tables. Does not look like much but everything is home cooked; really good food. I forget the name, however, you get to it (from the Rodeway Inn) by going thru the corporate center (located nearby - I believe there was an NS sign in front). Cross over the local, and then mainline tracks, come to a T and make a right. The restaurant is down the road (a few miles) on the left.

Training staff is very good.

Good luck.

#136211  by chrisjz

I have returned home from McDonough after completeing phase 1 of the training. I start phase 2 at my home terminal on Monday. I hope all goes well...

#136357  by Guest

Phase II is cake!

#138962  by Guest

Hey chrisjz - How's Phase II going? I've had a ACT with me every run for about a year, so if you have any questions..I might be able to help out.

-r

#139096  by chrisjz

Razor,

Phase II is going pretty good, thanks for asking. I am working on my second week and I'm really enjoying it, the crews I have been working with have been great. I'm looking forward to getting phase III and that signals test over with though. Thanks for the offer, if I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you. BTW, what division are you out of? I'm on the Harrisburg division out of Abrams in King of Prussia, PA.

#139254  by Guest

I work the Port Road out of Enola...also the Harrisburg Division. Matter fact, I have to catch my train in a couple of hours.

Don't sweat the signal test, it's on the computer and you get to practice as much as you like before you take the test. The real test is taken from the practice exam --easy as pie.

Phase III is mostly NORAC, you only get outside to do a brake test on one day. The rest of the time is in the classroom.

You get a better hotel too.

-r

#141614  by Nickelplate Pumkinhead

I'm in phase 4 now in croxton.
Study the study guide they gave you in phase one and study all the sigs on the card.
the norac instructor down there is cool pay attencion and study you'll be fine. You gonna be Nickel Plate or NSR??

#141699  by chrisjz

NSR down here in the Philly area. I have been studying quite a bit preparing for phase III. I have also been paying close attention to the territory on my weekly trips during phase II. I'm sure everything will be fine as long as I apply myself and keep up with all of it. I will let you guys now how everything is going periodically...

#141871  by Guest

Glad to see it's going well for you FNGs...I mean trainees.... Phase III is fun, you get to hang with old Larry Mcnulty, he's an old Harrisburg hogger - he knows his stuff, and he's funny in a dorky way.

-r
"You guys don't do this 'till you're marked up and have some f'up insurance."

#142406  by Guest

Two to go! Watch the move!