Railroad Forums 

• Little mishap in The Bronx

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1403760  by dbperry

Good overhead picture here showing how it fouled the NEC mainline:

https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status ... 9874445312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1403782  by YamaOfParadise

ccutler wrote:I am amazed that the catenary beam didn't get hit.
I was marveling at that at well, the cars ended up settling down to either side of it.

And, at the very least, there's only one car that fouled the NEC itself, and by falling over on its side onto it. I imagine that's much easier at repairing than the any of the other leads into Oak Point got, considering the carts dragged right across each. Also good it wasn't a garbage train!
 #1403815  by Noel Weaver

Backshophoss wrote:Amtrak's track dept is unhappy with CSX, 1 car fouling the 1 of the Hellgate mains. :(
I would imagine it is more than just the track department is unhappy with CSX over this one.
Noel Weaver
 #1403830  by twropr

TheBoyFromNewYorkCity wrote:.
http://nypost.com/2016/10/05/freight-tr ... s-service/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember that there was a similar incident that tied up Amtrak on the Sunday after Thanksgiving in 2001. The derailment knocked out a cat pole and CSX provided a pair of engines to pull the Amtraks thru the deenergized section.
Does anyone remember about when the second incident was where Oak Point crews derailed and delayed Amtrak?
Andy
 #1403893  by DogBert

They recently did some trackwork around those switches if I recall right.

What usually causes cars to cars to pile up like that? Did they back into a cut of cars too hard? The photos remind me of what you'd typically see in a head on collision.
 #1403923  by ccutler

Maybe someone who knows what happened will anonymously chime in here ;-)
I've never seen CSX switching cars over 10mph there, and usually much slower. Some of the track is, well, yard track that, next to the NE Corridor, should be shown more respect by CSX infrastructure planners. They just had another derailment in that same area a few months ago.
 #1404021  by mmi16

DogBert wrote:They recently did some trackwork around those switches if I recall right.

What usually causes cars to cars to pile up like that? Did they back into a cut of cars too hard? The photos remind me of what you'd typically see in a head on collision.
Momentum - something stops solidly and suddenly, and all the cars behind begin to accordion to dissipate the kinetic energy that the balance of the moving cars have.
 #1404086  by Train2009

Teutobergerwald wrote:A BX local, or a Fresh Pond-bound train for New York & Atlantic ?????
Transfer train from Fresh Pound to Oak Point.
 #1404146  by Noel Weaver

Old main line tracks in this area were at one time a part of the mainline with freight train speeds of 45 MPH and we did 45 through there too making a run for the bridge. After the Virginian Electrics came we did not have to make the run for the bridge, these motors would pull all outdoors. It sounds to me like the freight tracks in this area might need some up-grading to better standards.
lNoel Weaver