• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

Jeff Smith wrote:ADMIN: We have a motion, it's been seconded, and I approve. No more discussion about the disposition of 601 until there is news.

by Gilbert B Norman

Posted at another topic:
ApproachMedium wrote:946 Still in MARC service laid over this weekend in Baltimore. I noticed the back track where the 601 and a bunch of the AC motors were in Wilmington has been cleared out of all its engine and the 601. Stuff is probably getting ready for disposition.
I'd dare say that this report from a reliable source around these parts certainly represents news and that the discussion regarding 601 may continue.

Possibly our barristers will simply say "so what; all parties in interest have the photos they need to support their cases; so why not?", but to this layman having held professional credentials, albeit away from the Legal community, it would appear that evidence has been tampered. If criminal proceedings are to arise, I'd dare say evidence has definitely been tampered with.

First, I must wonder to what extent do the Amtrak "beagles" and their outside counsel have knowledge of this development, and could this mean that a decision regarding disposition of 601 could be closer at hand than previously held?

Enquiring mind is "perplexed".
  by ApproachMedium

Since the incident, the unit in question has moved twice that I know of at the wilmington shops. my above observation will be the second time its moved, that I know of. I have no idea where it went, where it is, what they are doing with it, or if its finally been destroyed.
  by ACeInTheHole

Could just be some shuffling around the shop. Who knows. Next.

668 should be on the move either today or tomorrow.
  by ThirdRail7

Odd. I don't recall seeing anything about picking up the 668 this week. I know that was the 29th was a PROJECTED date, but I never saw anything confirming a pickup.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
  by ApproachMedium

I did see the white monster outside today so either i missed it somehow the other day or it was inside of the building. It is on a different track though. For whatever reason, that one back track is empty still.

I think I saw the 665 in service? And the 664 only has that septa sticker on one end oddly.
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:Odd. I don't recall seeing anything about picking up the 668 this week. I know that was the 29th was a PROJECTED date, but I never saw anything confirming a pickup.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Mentioning that was nothing but a diversion from the obvious on my end.
  by aem7ac921

Just curious, but how rare was it to see an AEM-7 pulling an ACS-64 that had mechanical difficulties? I was able to catch 921 pulling 634 this summer and I'm wondering roughly how frequently this occurred?
  by ApproachMedium

Im not sure how frequently, but i had the 946 i think it was pulling the 603. And at one point i had an ACS, pulling the 940 and two cars to dc. I havnt had them together where they were talking because one was shopped for whatever reason but I am curious if the black AAR 27 pin MU on the aem-7 will work with the acs (it really should) and allow for one to control the other in consist.
  by 8th Notch

I sure as heck would not want to see a mixed pair on a revenue train.....
  by ApproachMedium

Why not? I would. Where is your sense of ADVENTURE!
  by gokeefe

Although this thread has kept up well with deliveries I noticed there hasn't been that much lately in terms of general impressions of performance.

Now that the engines have been on the property for some time and many of them have undergone comprehensive shakedowns I would be interested to know how they are doing.

Are the Sprinters performing well? Do they still have major operating problems (such as those described in early days of acceptance?)?

And perhaps the most controversial question of all .... Are they a suitable replacement for the AEM-7 (AC or DC)?

I ask the last question strictly in terms of performance, e.g. availability rate, and ability to pull/push trains in a variety of conditions (environmental, infrastructure, rolling stock).
  by Jehochman

My impression as a customer of Amtrak is that the new engines have improved time keeping, accelerate better, and provide a smoother ride. I'm on the regionals at least twice a month between New Haven and Washington.

I don't miss the dirty, bug encrusted AEM's with their weird sparking noises, or the HHP's rocking and shimmying on the rails.
  by aem7ac921

I noticed that all ACS-64s have 2 K5LA horns. When the engineer pulls it pushes the small lever to blow the horn, does one go off or both?
gokeefe wrote:Although this thread has kept up well with deliveries I noticed there hasn't been that much lately in terms of general impressions of performance.

Now that the engines have been on the property for some time and many of them have undergone comprehensive shakedowns I would be interested to know how they are doing.

Are the Sprinters performing well? Do they still have major operating problems (such as those described in early days of acceptance?)?

And perhaps the most controversial question of all .... Are they a suitable replacement for the AEM-7 (AC or DC)?

I ask the last question strictly in terms of performance, e.g. availability rate, and ability to pull/push trains in a variety of conditions (environmental, infrastructure, rolling stock).
I have spoken with many engineers about this. Some really seem to love the new engines, while others not so much. The majority though seems to like them.
  by 8th Notch

If you push the button forward the forward facing horn sounds, and vice versa.
Last edited by 8th Notch on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.