• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 8th Notch

Jehochman wrote:My impression as a customer of Amtrak is that the new engines have improved time keeping, accelerate better, and provide a smoother ride. I'm on the regionals at least twice a month between New Haven and Washington.

I don't miss the dirty, bug encrusted AEM's with their weird sparking noises, or the HHP's rocking and shimmying on the rails.

I agree with all of the above except I still feel that it was easier to run a smoother train with a meatball, I will take a real brake any day over an e-brake. Not being the poor craftsman that blames his tools, just a personal preference. :wink:
  by chuchubob

AMTK 664 spent two weeks on SEPTA recently for crews to get a preview of SEPTA's ACS-64 order. Now it's testing on Amtrak. ACS-64 664 pulled a cafe car, a coach and AMTK 612 from the Keystone Corridor to 30th Street Station Wednesday afternoon. Shortly thereafter, 664 pushed the train back onto the Keystone Corridor with 612 as cab car (pans down).
  by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote:If you push the button forward the forward facing horn sounds, and vice versa.
No, it doesnt. The book says that but the the horns fire for the cab they are facing, respectively. The 611 i had both cabs the other day and the R end horn is much more muffled than the F end horn sound whereas some units both horns sound exactly the same. I also tried cutting out the rear facing horn from the cab i was sitting in and both ways you move that toggle the same horn sounds.
  by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote:
Jehochman wrote:My impression as a customer of Amtrak is that the new engines have improved time keeping, accelerate better, and provide a smoother ride. I'm on the regionals at least twice a month between New Haven and Washington.

I don't miss the dirty, bug encrusted AEM's with their weird sparking noises, or the HHP's rocking and shimmying on the rails.

I agree with all of the above except I still feel that it was easier to run a smoother train with a meatball, I will take a real brake any day over an e-brake. Not being the poor craftsman that blames his tools, just a personal preference. :wink:
IF they allowed the engineer to take power for 10-20 seconds when brought back to a minimum reduction while moving it would be MUCH easier to run a smooth train with these. You can run a super smooth train with them though, it just takes a LOT more handy work.
  by 8th Notch

ApproachMedium wrote:
8th Notch wrote:If you push the button forward the forward facing horn sounds, and vice versa.
No, it doesnt. The book says that but the the horns fire for the cab they are facing, respectively. The 611 i had both cabs the other day and the R end horn is much more muffled than the F end horn sound whereas some units both horns sound exactly the same. I also tried cutting out the rear facing horn from the cab i was sitting in and both ways you move that toggle the same horn sounds.
Guess I should have listened when you told me that book was full of a bunch of useless info.
  by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote:
Guess I should have listened when you told me that book was full of a bunch of useless info.
Come on dude, would I lie? :wink: Absolute worst railroad equipment manual I have ever read thru.
  by DutchRailnut

629 is been in service for over week now.
  by Fan Railer

ApproachMedium wrote:
8th Notch wrote:
Come on dude, would I lie? :wink: Absolute worst railroad equipment manual I have ever read thru.
LMAO at least Siemens gave you guys a book. I heard Rotem didn't even give SEPTA books for the SL-Vs; either that, or it was in Korean. :P
  by ApproachMedium

Looking at the photos of the 627 it is probably toast. The CRM looks to have done its job. I am just glad to hear nobody onboard was killed but sadly many were hurt in the incident. My thoughts and prayers are with my co-workers, our passengers and the families of the two MOW employees who were killed in the incident.
  by khecht

Tough to know at this point, really. But the incentive to repair if economically feasible will be higher since it's a newer, largely undepreciated asset. Assuming the repair cost is less than the replacement cost, generally the repair will be done. This is really no different from cars - older cars with significant damage may be "totalled" by the insurer as the repair cost exceeds its current value, whereas newer ones are less likely to be subject to that.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Approach and Hecht, possibly the experience gained by Wilmington in returning 629 to service will be put to use restoring 627.

Now of course the REAL test will come at such time Legal in-house and outside counsel release 601.
  by DutchRailnut

European versions of this Siemens product have been returned to service with far more damage , repairs at Factory put unit back to as new condition, I am sure even Bear or Wilmington can do job.
question is when can they start, as unit will be impounded till any and all legal claims have been resolved.