• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NYCrails

Fan Railer wrote:And the delays begin...
http://7online.com/traffic/lirr-new-tra ... em/832508/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The people up top are a joke, they haven't done nothing right. If its the ESA, 2nd Avenue , 7 train stop or this they have failed badly. I mean its becoming comical. And then they want to blame the employees for their shortcomings. You can't make this stuff up.
  by Head-end View

I'm surprised the new equipment will take up so much space. (17 cubic feet) With today's electronics and computers, you'd think they could fit it into something the size of a desktop computer.

This screw-up doesn't seem that unusual to me. New industrial projects of all types often suffer these kinds of glitches and setbacks. They'll work it out with some sort of re-design. Regrettably they'll probably end up taking out more seats and the commuter will get screwed.

On PATH's new PA-5 trains, the PTC equipment takes up substantial space in the left-side of the full-width cab. PATH insists this was the reason those trains had to have a full-width cab, to acommodate that equipment.......
  by jamestrains1

Kawasaki Heavy Industries Hyogo works
Prototyping, testing, and development: various dates April 2015 - February 2016:

Interestingly, Gorilla Glass was, for a time, under consideration for use in the M9 windows. It was believed that the approximate 30% weight reduction provided by Gorilla Glass, when compared to other materials, could potentially be a solution to the ongoing overweight issues being encountered, in addition to preventing spotting.
Long Island Rail Road Commuter Council (LIRRCC) Meeting Minutes January 8, 2015
http://www.pcac.org/meeting-minutes/mee ... ry-8-2015/
  by Head-end View

Car #9001! Like stepping back in time to 1969 with the first M-1 train!
  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote:Car #9001! Like stepping back in time to 1969 with the first M-1 train!
Actually 1968, and even though I wasn't born for another 22 years, this is my time to see car, a brand new #9001. The only difference is I wish I was able to witness the grade crossing elimination of the Babylon Branch.
  by Jeff Smith

http://web.mta.info/capital/pdf/MTA_15- ... df#page=87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-9 Procurement
This project will continue the purchase of new M-9 electric cars, which was initiated in the 2010 – 2014 Capital Program. This continued fleet purchase will allow for the replacement of the LIRR’s remaining M-3 electric fleet (88 cars), which faces a number of service reliability challenges and dated system technology. In addition, a key system improvement component is the procurement of up to 76 new M-9 cars which will prepare the LIRR for future service to Grand Central Terminal, by expanding the size of the LIRR electric fleet. This procurement is being coordinated with cars purchased under the East Side Access project.
  by Head-end View

What is this gorilla glass they're talking about?
  by rdl1972

Gorilla glass is a light weight ,very strong glass used in many of todays top smartphones.
  by SwingMan

I wonder if they'll solve the issue of sun damage to the windows.
  by Publius Plunkett

Gorilla Glass was developed and invented by Corning Glass in upstate New York. It's marvelous stuff that is to sum it up, flexible glass. It is currently outsourced to China for manufacturing because American workers are not allowed to build anything anymore. There has been some quality control issues with production in China, but they have solved that by executing the plant manager in China.
  by scopelliti

Not to get off on a tangent but... the name is Corning Incorporated. The name Corning Glass Works was dropped in 1989 to reflect the much broader product range that Corning was now making (e.g. optical fiber). Gorilla Glass is a very strong, scratch resistant lightweight glass that has many applications including cellphones, smartphones, laptops, TVs, etc. It also has automotive applications (among others) including windows where its damage resistance and light weight are a big win.

Also, outsourced to China? Not sure what you mean by outsourced... Corning owns plants in Taiwan and Korea that are located adjacent to manufacturing factories that utilize it. This really lowers the shipping costs. Corning also has a Gorilla Glass plant in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, which last time I checked is in the USA. As a matter of fact, that is where Gorilla Glass production started (driven by the original iPhone).

Checkout Wikipedia for more information. Also, look on YouTube for "a day of glass corning" for videos about Corning and Gorilla Glass.

Disclaimer: I worked for Corning for 33 years, ending in 2014.
  by Publius Plunkett

Corning used to produce all of its Gorilla Glass in Kentucky. It now shifted some of that production to Asia.. The Republic of China if this is ok with you? Whether it was to lower transportation costs for large panels or be near the industries that use it in the Asian Rim, it still bothers me that US manufacturing is moving overseas. If the new M9's are produced in Japan, the glass will most undoubtedly be produced in an Asian plant. I applaud your long career with an iconic company such as Corning, but, put yourself in the shoes of a 20yo who is not cut out to be a "professional" and would do well in some manufacturing plant somewhere in this Country.
  by scopelliti

Oh, I absolutely agree. I was merely stating the "facts". I do not like moving production (and along with it all the process knowledge) to places where corporate espionage is the usual thing. McDonald's sales jobs should not pay $15, but the issue is many jobs that paid $15 to $30 have been shipped overseas. I think we are in violent agreement,..

Anyway, this is not the object of railroad.net. So, back to the M9s :)