• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

only few M-9's will be produced in Japan, basically the first 20 or so test cars, rest will be build in Lincoln Nebraska.
with finishing work in Yonkers, NY.
  by MattAmity90

It's going to be interesting to find out what the horn on the M9's will sound like since the M1 and M3 horns were different.
  by Head-end View

LOL Good question Matt! The M-1 and M-3 horns sure were different, but I liked both of them. I hope the M-9's horn is different from the M-7, 'cause I never liked the M-7 horns, even before they muffled them.
  by MattTheM1

Head-end View wrote:LOL Good question Matt! The M-1 and M-3 horns sure were different, but I liked both of them. I hope the M-9's horn is different from the M-7, 'cause I never liked the M-7 horns, even before they muffled them.
Just to tell you because of something faulty with my laptop, none of my passwords worked (I have them written down) MattAmity90 is now MattTheM1.
  by Norton

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/lir ... 1.11943460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Newsday:

"LIRR’s new trains may come later than promised, officials say

HIGHLIGHTS

Delivery of M-9 electric cars now set for Nov. 2018
Railroad has purchased 92 trains for $377 million

The LIRR’s next generation of train cars could roll off the assembly line nine months later than originally promised, railroad officials say. "
  by adamj023

Anyone know if the test set has arrived?

M3's are breaking down more, and the cars need to go. The newer cars need less personnel to run and are a faster ride. I always hate getting on the M3's occasionally. The C3, M7 and soon M9 will all make for a nice LIRR fleet for a very long time.
  by BuddR32

No, the test set is still in Japan.

I like the M3 cars, although I know this is may be a minority opinion. I like riding on them, and liked working on them, unless you compared a motor PI to an M1, it was better than the M3 for Electricians.
  by BuddR32

Explain how this is so, aren't the crew assignments the same regardless of the class of MU?
  by onorclose7

The crew assignment is the same. This person knows not of what he speaks
  by Dump The Air

it's been a good 3+ years since i've rode the LIRR but i always liked getting the odd set of M3s on a late night KO train, the lights going out occasionally helped the sober up nap on the ride back.
  by bellstbarn

A few weeks ago, I may have seen a report stating that the windows on the M-9's will be tinted darker than those on the M-7's. Would anyone know if this is true? Thanks.
  by Head-end View

I hope not. It's already hard enough to see out of the existing tinted windows at night.
  by edflyerssn007

Are there any updates?
  by Crabman1130

I saw on FB that the FRA rejected the M9 proto and the car is being redesigned. Does anyone have anything on why?