• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Albany Rider

The Empire State Passengers Association has posted pictures of the CAF cars going to Albany. Pictures should be viewable at:

http://www.esparail.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cars are a diner, a sleeper and a baggage-dorm.
  by chuchubob

Identified on another message board as baggage dorm 69001, diner 68000 Albany, and sleeper 62500 Portage River.
  by Greg Moore

chuchubob wrote:Identified on another message board as baggage dorm 69001, diner 68000 Albany, and sleeper 62500 Portage River.
Which corresponds with the suggestion that these are the original "prototypes" fixed and ready for testing again.

Hopefully things start moving again quickly.
  by Rockingham Racer

I'm still not clear. Will the testing involve passengers [in the diner and sleeper] and crew [in the crew dorm]?
  by R30A

68000 and 62500 are the original prototypes.
69001 is a different car. 69000 was the original prototype.
  by ApproachMedium

gokeefe wrote:At least they're fighting it now rather than putting the cars in service and trying to fix the problem later.
They are putting plenty of these in service with "problems". Things they know about but wont affect their operation. They will address them later.
  by bostontrainguy

R30A wrote:68000 and 62500 are the original prototypes.
69001 is a different car. 69000 was the original prototype.
Yeah, the pointless arrow gives it away.
  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:
gokeefe wrote:At least they're fighting it now rather than putting the cars in service and trying to fix the problem later.
They are putting plenty of these in service with "problems". Things they know about but wont affect their operation. They will address them later.
I imagine the logic of the cars in service being baggage cars and whatever problems they have not involving human cargo has something to do with the difference in the line of logic between the baggage cars and the diners/bag-dorms/sleepers. Except now its just getting downright abysmal for the other 3 types of cars.
  by Matt Johnson

Just noticed that the bag/dorm is missing the red reflective stripe along the bottom.
  by Tadman

ThirdRail7 wrote:and since it is a Gene Poon post, we all known the information is half baked or exaggerated. A draft of diners is not what will emerge from the factory. The original three are coming out for testing and returning.

"What kind of a name is Poon?"

"Commanche"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5disU0zuCN4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Jeff Smith

^I can tell you the issue with the V-Bags. Ball bearings. It's ALL ball bearings these days!
  by ApproachMedium

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
I imagine the logic of the cars in service being baggage cars and whatever problems they have not involving human cargo has something to do with the difference in the line of logic between the baggage cars and the diners/bag-dorms/sleepers. Except now its just getting downright abysmal for the other 3 types of cars.
Not totally. The problems with the bags plague the other units as well as its parts shared between some of them that are the issue. Some things, like i mentioned the HVAC flow in the diner being an issue earlier, are specific to the car type causing its delay.
  by gregorygrice

Prototype delivery video from the Hudson Line. As noted before the only non-original in the set is Bag Dorm 69001, which looked like they had quickly finished because it still had wrapping on the doors :P I guess 69000 was total crap. Anyway, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrxWNfNui8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gregorygrice

The 3 test cars are now at 30th Street