Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

Is there something unusual about the scene in this picture that warrants this post? Seems like an everyday occurrence unless I'm missing something.
  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

This was my first time seeing an MP36 and F40 meet in person.

by Rockingham Racer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the technical term here an "overtake"? I think trains that "meet" are running in opposite directions. Anyway, reminds me of when I used to hang out at LaGrange Rd., minus the MP's of course!

by MikeF

Actually this is a meet. The train on the left is stopped and waiting to return inbound to Chicago (away from the camera) after the outbound express clears the crossovers -- hence the remark in the caption about the train on the left waiting for the red-over-green signal.

But you are correct, when one train passes another going in the same direction, the correct term is "overtake."

by MikeF

How many times are you gonna post that link, Nick? Trying to make the "Top of Yesterday" spot on RP.net? :wink:
  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

I must have accidentaly put the wrong link. I meant to put a link of an overtake that we saw later in the day. Sorry.