Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#135950  by MikeF

Is there something unusual about the scene in this picture that warrants this post? Seems like an everyday occurrence unless I'm missing something.
 #135958  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

This was my first time seeing an MP36 and F40 meet in person.

#135976  by Rockingham Racer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the technical term here an "overtake"? I think trains that "meet" are running in opposite directions. Anyway, reminds me of when I used to hang out at LaGrange Rd., minus the MP's of course!

#136007  by MikeF

Actually this is a meet. The train on the left is stopped and waiting to return inbound to Chicago (away from the camera) after the outbound express clears the crossovers -- hence the remark in the caption about the train on the left waiting for the red-over-green signal.

But you are correct, when one train passes another going in the same direction, the correct term is "overtake."

#136013  by MikeF

How many times are you gonna post that link, Nick? Trying to make the "Top of Yesterday" spot on RP.net? :wink:
 #136036  by Midwest Rail Photog 89

I must have accidentaly put the wrong link. I meant to put a link of an overtake that we saw later in the day. Sorry.