Railroad Forums 

• Leesburg Turnpike Tysons - Alexandria Light Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1357286  by Jeff Smith

One of the options being proposed for transit is LRT: "Greater Greater Washington"
<SNIPS>
Rapid buses or light rail are coming to Leesburg Pike
<>
The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, which plans and funds transit in the area, has launched Envision Route 7, a study that will look at potential new transit options.
<>
Light Rail Transit (LRT), which, like BRT, can operate on the street, either in the center median or along the curb. Most often, LRT has its own lane with no cars. One issue with LRT is that it needs a power source, usually from an overhead electric wire. Also, LRT can carry more people than BRT, but it's correspondingly more expensive.
<>
Potential LRT Route:Tysons to the Van Dorn Street Metro station via East Falls Church Metro station. This would work for either BRT or LRT. This route would go from Tysons Corner down Route 7, turn in the City of Falls Church on Lee Highway toward the East Falls Church Metro station, and then continue on to Van Dorn Street station.
 #1357490  by mtuandrew

I'm heartened to see this report, since this would be an incredibly useful service for me. I frequently travel between Van Dorn (near my apartment), Skyline Mall, Bailey's Crossroads, Seven Corners, and East Falls Church, and every potential road between those endpoints is a civil engineer's nightmare. Even if I had to take a DASH (Alexandria) bus between Van Dorn and the intersection of Beauregard and King/Leesburg, I'd happily take this service.

This makes me think about what LRT could do for northern Virginia. I have a map in mind - maybe I'll work on that tonight.

Anyone else have opinions?