• West Trenton Rush-Hour Express

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Head-end View

I'm going to be in the Trevose area for a few days next week and will be doing some train watching and riding. Can anyone tell me if they still run a locomotive hauled/7-car express to West Trenton in the evening rush-hour? And if so, which of the several express trains on the timetable is the loco-equipped one. Thanks!
  by zebrasepta

If I remember correctly, it gets out of Center City as train #6378 because I waited at temple station watching that train zoom past Temple while waiting for a train to go to Lansdale (about 3-4 years ago before the schedules were changed) (And wow the schedules really changed a lot in just a few years as 6576 would leave AFTER 6378 but now 6576 leaves BEFORE 6378)
  by Head-end View

You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
  by zebrasepta

Head-end View wrote:You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
I don't think it was ever lead by a locomotive heading towards West Trenton, all i remember is the cab car leading it
It faces outbound heading towards PRR though not RDG
  by scotty269

6374 is also a MU consist.
  by Head-end View

Thanks Scotty; you saved me the trouble. Zebra, you could be right. I thought I remembered the loco leading to W. Trenton, but I could be mistaken......... The loco's do face inbound on the trains parked at Fern Rock during the day.
  by zebrasepta

scotty269 wrote:6374 is also a MU consist.
MU's as in EMU's? if so, when did they change the consist for the train?
  by glennk419

zebrasepta wrote:
Head-end View wrote:You were right Zebrasepta. It is train #6378. Six cars with the cab-car leading outbound, unlike a few years ago when the loco used to face outbound. The similar express #4382 about 25 minutes later is 4 MU cars. Didn't get to check out the half-hour earlier express #6374. Maybe next trip.
I don't think it was ever lead by a locomotive heading towards West Trenton, all i remember is the cab car leading it
It faces outbound heading towards PRR though not RDG
The last West Trenton trains I ever remember with the loco leading toward WT were the Railworks trains back in the 90's which were powered by leased NJT U34CH's.
  by Head-end View

I was in the Bucks/Phila. area again this past week, so I positioned myself at Woodbourne Station to see # 6378 arrive, but to my surprise it was a 6-car EMU train, not the loco-push/pull. This was on Thurs. Dec. 3rd. Is that train no longer a push/pull or do they sometimes substitute an EMU train in its place?
  by scotty269

Both it, and the morning express, have been substituted recently.
  by rslitman

6378 had Silverliner 4's today instead of the usual push pulls.
  by SEPTA2461

As of the past two weeks, both 6374 an 6378 have been using Silverliner Vs. This probably has to do with the Rotem overhaul project, or possibly a dead engine or two.
  by rslitman

Morning express 6325 had push pulls this morning (Wednesday, January 27), the first time I'd seen a push pull set on this line in a while. By the way, there are two push pull cars in the Woodbourne freight yard. I wonder if they are Comets waiting to go to a scrapper.