Railroad Forums 

• Uncoupling passenger car in motion (UK). Questions.

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1336637  by Passenger

Something I read about former commuter operations in the UK.

Deliberately and according to schedule, cars uncoupled from the back of a moving train and coasting to a stop next to the platform (with a brakemen on board doing his thing).

Ever done *now* anywhere?

Ever done in the USA?

Illegal under current regulation, right?

Thank you.
 #1336642  by talltim

Called slip coaches, not really a commuter thing, but more used on expresses so that the train didn't have to stop at the intermediate station. Sometimes more than one coach (car) was in the slipped portion of the train. For the return working the coaches were taken by a local train to a station where the express stopped.
It wasn't used that much, the Great Western Railway used it most and the last time a slip coach was used was on the Western Region (former GWR) in 1960.
There's a good page on the history here http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r134.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I don't know if the practise was ever used elsewhere, I've certainly never come across it. It would certainly be against UK regulations now, but there aren't many loco hauled passenger trains left to do it with anyway.
Edit: I've just found a video of present day (well, three years ago) slip coach action in India https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzyAmkxDyqg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
 #1336669  by ExCon90

The only example I know of in the U. S. was on a light-rail line, Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co. (Red Arrow) after the delivery of the St. Louis ("not a PCC") cars, which were equipped for multiple-unit operation. To conserve departure slots at 69th St., a two-car train left about 5.30 pm; the first car was signed Media, first stop Springfield (Woodland Ave.), the second was signed Springfield, first stop Scenic Road. Approaching Scenic Road, the operator of the second car accomplished the uncoupling from his operating position and brought the car to a stop at Scenic Road. Meanwhile the first car blew by Scenic Road and continued nonstop to Springfield. The second car, after its stop at Scenic Road, made all stops to Springfield and returned to 69th St. from there. (Very likely the only self-powered slip coach anywhere.)