Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1303308  by rfprr

With the strict ban on photography from station platforms, anyone know of good locations to photograph PATH trains?

TIA,
rfprr
 #1303585  by Allan

rfprr wrote:With the strict ban on photography from station platforms, anyone know of good locations to photograph PATH trains?

TIA,
rfprr

You can get a few photos from platform for track 1 at Newark Penn as long as you stay outside of the turnstiles (that side of the platform by track 1 is Amtrak property not PATH property).

I would suggest that you move about on the platform a bit (as if you are waiting for a NJ Train), plan your shots, take them and move around some more. That way you are not loitering.

You can get some good overhead shots from the Summit Av overpass which is located just south of the Journal Square station (which is in an open cut area). T

You can get some interesting shots from the street next to the Harrison station (Red Bull stadium side of the station).
 #1304283  by 25Hz

The upstairs track at newark can be good for crowd shots, just stay well on the NJT side of the turnstiles.
 #1315093  by charlie20215

Hey you movie guys: get a permit and record the remaining rail fan window views of the caissons and tubes from HOB to JSq, JSQ to HOB and JSq to Christopher. Once all the front windows are gone the chance is lost and the historical record suffers.

I suspect the windows are disappearing because PATH is ashamed of their messy tubes and junk laden caissons. (Looks like great-grandmother's basement.) Also, the front window view could be upsetting to a non-railfan because the tunnels are small, the turns are tight and Tunnel A wanders around approaching the shoreline.
 #1315994  by Terry Kennedy

charlie20215 wrote:Hey you movie guys: get a permit and record the remaining rail fan window views of the caissons and tubes from HOB to JSq, JSQ to HOB and JSq to Christopher. Once all the front windows are gone the chance is lost and the historical record suffers.
All of the revenue equipment has been PA-5 for quite some time now. If you're going to get a permit and pay the PA, specify that you want the cab configured in compact mode (collapsible cab). It is a lot harder than it looks to do a good job, particularly in high definition.

These were done through the window on the end door (click the pics for the full 720P version):

This one was done with the window on the end door down. You get a vastly better picture, but have to deal with water droplets on the camera lens (again, click for 720P):

And yes, these were done with permits. No, you can't have the videos. Sorry.
I suspect the windows are disappearing because PATH is ashamed of their messy tubes and junk laden caissons. (Looks like great-grandmother's basement.) Also, the front window view could be upsetting to a non-railfan because the tunnels are small, the turns are tight and Tunnel A wanders around approaching the shoreline.
I don't think there are any ulterior motives to it, just that it isn't interesting to the vast majority of their customers, and the few people who stand there with their noses pressed to the glass get bumped due to sudden starts/stops. Not to mention that it is quite disconcerting to try to exit the cab and discover you can't open the door because there's a gaggle of people staring out the window blocking it.
 #1316518  by CentralValleyRail

charlie20215 wrote:Hey you movie guys: get a permit and record the remaining rail fan window views of the caissons and tubes from HOB to JSq, JSQ to HOB and JSq to Christopher. Once all the front windows are gone the chance is lost and the historical record suffers.

PA Employees non PATH can still get away with taking pictures :-D
 #1316855  by Head-end View

Actually Terry K, a lot of passengers used to enjoy the front window view. Not all were fanatics with their nose pressed to the glass, but many passengers in the front and middle sections of the car used to turn their heads and take in the view, especially on the outdoor parts of the Newark run.

I even pointed this out in an e-mail to the Port Authority a few years back, that they had lost a good public relations tool by doing away with the front railfan windows. They replied that the full-width cab was necessary in order to install all the new PTC equipment that was now being required by current FRA rules. They insisted that they'd considered several different cab configurations, and that this was the most practical (For them I guess). Not for the passengers.........
 #1328888  by gregorygrice

Terry Kennedy wrote:
All of the revenue equipment has been PA-5 for quite some time now. If you're going to get a permit and pay the PA, specify that you want the cab configured in compact mode (collapsible cab). It is a lot harder than it looks to do a good job, particularly in high definition.

These were done through the window on the end door (click the pics for the full 720P version):

This one was done with the window on the end door down. You get a vastly better picture, but have to deal with water droplets on the camera lens (again, click for 720P):

And yes, these were done with permits. No, you can't have the videos. Sorry.
I don't think there are any ulterior motives to it, just that it isn't interesting to the vast majority of their customers, and the few people who stand there with their noses pressed to the glass get bumped due to sudden starts/stops. Not to mention that it is quite disconcerting to try to exit the cab and discover you can't open the door because there's a gaggle of people staring out the window blocking it.
Around how much did you pay for the permit? I've been trying to acquire one.
 #1328909  by Terry Kennedy

gregorygrice wrote:Around how much did you pay for the permit? I've been trying to acquire one.
Answered via PM.

For other people interested, the general answer is "it varies - a lot"