Railroad Forums 

• Idea regarding Main Line service in Nassau County

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1321169  by UN Block

Ooooooo, don't get me started! :-D
I see no reason why all Huntington weekend trains shouldn't make all local stops. It would add, at most, 2 minutes to the schedule, that's it. It may, however, attract more ridership. As was mentioned before, the trains are there anyway. We're not talking about adding service.

And remind me again why weekend Huntington service is basically half-hourly while weekday midday is hourly????? Yes, that would be adding service.

Like I said, don't get me started! :-D
 #1321206  by lirr42

UN Block wrote:And remind me again why weekend Huntington service is basically half-hourly while weekday midday is hourly????? Yes, that would be adding service.
A "fun fact" or sorts regarding West of Huntington service... there's actually more trains going from Huntington to New York on weekends then there are on weekdays. The couple of Brooklyn, HPA, and diesel trains that go west of Huntington on weekdays give the workweek a slightly higher total train count, but if you're looking to get to New York, you have more options on the weekends than during the week!
 #1321503  by Tommy Meehan

Looking at the schedules I notice on weekends most Huntington trains alternate between stopping on the main line at Westbury/Merrilon Avenue or Carle Place/New Hyde Park. The running time from Hicksville to Jamaica is usually twenty-four minutes. The few trains that do make all stops have a running time of twenty-seven minutes.