• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by southern sec. kid

Hello everyone! I've been sick as a dog for a little over a week and haven't been able to do my daily routine of checking out Conrails OOS portion of the southern after class. If the weather isn't terrible tomorrow, I'm going to head out and give another look-see for all of you eager to know what's going on!
  by David

southern sec. kid wrote:Hello everyone! I've been sick as a dog for a little over a week and haven't been able to do my daily routine of checking out Conrails OOS portion of the southern after class. If the weather isn't terrible tomorrow, I'm going to head out and give another look-see for all of you eager to know what's going on!

Get better soon!--We need those update reports. :-)
  by NJT4149

SA31 on the Southern Secondary at BANK 4:20 PM
  by southern sec. kid

Train was csx 4412 with about 8 lumbers and 3 boxcars. Sitting in farmingdale now.
  by NJT4149

Went through Farmingdale just before 7 with CSX 4412 (as mentioned before) and 12 Woodhavens.
  by southern sec. kid

May be wrong but it looks like they're going to tie down at Collingwood auction for the night.
  by bmwr12

There is now a bundle of ties next to the Rt 571 crossing. I assume that the bridge down the tracks is bridge repair #3.
  by bigblue5277

Once again SA31 crossed the Cheesequake marsh just minutes after the passing of the 3:40 pm westbound out of South Amboy (ID: NJT 3251). I suspect this pattern will hold providing a good chance next week for catching both trains together in South Amboy.
  by bmwr12

They started working on the bridge next to the RT.571 crossing.
  by southern sec. kid

Crews were working on the bridge near 571 and the bridge under rt 70 today. No work on the bridge south of rt. 70 yet but you could tell a hi rail or some other type of rail vehicle has been out there by the shine on the rusty rail
  by wolfboy8171981

southern sec. kid wrote:Crews were working on the bridge near 571 and the bridge under rt 70 today. No work on the bridge south of rt. 70 yet but you could tell a hi rail or some other type of rail vehicle has been out there by the shine on the rusty rail
The Three Conrail Bridges are 1. Between Rt. 527 and Glidden 2. South of Rt. 571. 3. Under Rt. 70. Any other bridges and especially anything South of Union Ave in Lakehurst are not part of this project.
  by Teeman1770

With the 3 bridges repaired by Conrail, would the Southern be capable of handling traffic from Lakewood to Lakehurst to the point where it meets the NJSL/Clayton ROW? I realize that point south is still awaiting the rehab grant to be put into play to Woodmansie. Perhaps MOW equipment could use the rails now to get to Lakehurst. Would be interesting to watch.
  by southern sec. kid

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:Crews were working on the bridge near 571 and the bridge under rt 70 today. No work on the bridge south of rt. 70 yet but you could tell a hi rail or some other type of rail vehicle has been out there by the shine on the rusty rail
The Three Conrail Bridges are 1. Between Rt. 527 and Glidden 2. South of Rt. 571. 3. Under Rt. 70. Any other bridges and especially anything South of Union Ave in Lakehurst are not part of this project.
I was aware on the the ownership of the bridges, just figured I would check it out while I was out there. As I watched from a distance on Monday, a bridge worker came up to me and let me know I'd be able to cross the bridge in 20 minutes once they were finished. I told him that I was actually interested in the work being done. He told me they expect trains back to Lakehurst in or around a years time.
  by NJT4149

SA31 permission to open up Church at 3:28 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:39 PM
Clear the Southern Secondary at Bank 4:19 PM
Last edited by NJT4149 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.