Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1309885  by Tadman

In response to the original post - an entity such as LIRR can be considered both public and private at the same time. The law interprets this according to different purposes. For the purpose of hiring and procurement, LIRR is public and must hire people like the city or county does. Same with open bidding for services or goods. For the purpose of property law, most public entities are considered private, IE they can tell you to stay off the property unless you are a paying passenger. That also means they can allow you to drink inside the fare control areas just like a restaurant.

This is a gross oversimplification - I'm a lawyer but not a property lawyer so don't act on my advice if this matter interests you. Just trying to give the mile-high view.
 #1309930  by Doc Emmet Brown

As stated before, alcohol is usually just a problem on St Patricks Day, New Years eve, and friday and saturday nights with young adults going to and from the City. In the friday and saturday night situations, for some reason the Babylon Branch always seemed the worst. In most cases when the kids were getiing rowdy, going into NY,it was usually enough to just go talk to them and tell them technically alcohol is not allowed, but if you keep it down I will look the other way. If you continue to be loud, Ill have to call the Police. Usually that was enough. Going home, we used to call the 140am train to babylon the vomit comet. Also the train after that.
 #1309971  by nyandw

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:"...Going home, we used to call the 140am train to babylon the vomit comet. Also the train after that.
I forgot this one for the "slang Page" What are the depart times out of Penn? Where they FRi and also Sat nites?

I was under the impression it was the very first early train out of PENN after the bars closed around 4-5am?
Thanks, Doc.
 #1309994  by Tadman

I've heard the "vomit comet" used in reference to quite a few commuter trains on weekend evenings in many cities.

Does LIRR ban alcohol? Out here it's totally legal except on the offending holidays mentioned above, they ban it those days to head off problems. I've seen a few crazy Sunday nights as well with drunk Bears fans going back to NW Indiana.
 #1310012  by Commuter X

From the LIRR ...

Alcohol Ban
As in prior years, alcoholic beverage will not be allowed on LIRR trains, stations and platforms from 12 Noon on New Year’s Eve (Wednesday, December 31) through 12 noon on New Year’s Day (Thursday, January 1, 2015).

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/n ... -31-14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps someone should tell Customer Service that Thursday is January 1, 2015, not 2014. I corrected the above sentence.
 #1310071  by Doc Emmet Brown

a few years ago there was a two hour gap between the 140 babylon train, and the next one. I forget the exact time of the next one.
The 140 was usually packed with drunks, and was known as the vomit comet. The next one was the stragglers and also became known as the vomit Comet, but it was not as crowded as the 140.
I see now they changed the schedule to 142, 239, and then 454.
So Im guessing the 239 is the vomit comet now. then the 454 for the hardcore cases.