Railroad Forums 

• LIRR President Orders Individual Branch Performance Goals

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1308482  by Commuter X

puckhead wrote:hey X, what is your ontime performance in your car? you never hit traffic, get stuck behind a broken car, get slowed up by emergency vehicles? between the people fouling the tracks with cars and garbage, people having medical issues on the trains, and all sorts of other nonsense when you move 300,000 people a day, they do well . if the trains are so bad, get in your car every day in any weather and do it yourself. yeah, i thought so .
When was the last public works project completed in NY?
Tappan Zee Bridge -- under construction
East Side Access -- under construction
Second Ave Subway -- under construction
Another tunnel under the Hudson River -- Forget about it

All of the above are delayed and over budget. If it were not for Robert Moses, LI would be a more of a disaster today
Once NY State starts to invest money in its crumbling infrastructure, then driving would be a alternative
 #1308485  by SwingMan

It's a pretty big cluster---- out there thanks to him. I can't believe that guy gets credit for anything he's did around here. Where else in the country are you going to have our lovely NY drivers trying to do 80 around all of those 25mph curves on the SSP? Or having to get down from 65-10 to make an exit while dodging people who can't merge on? And the worst part is the way it was designed left no room for straightening or expansion (minus a few small projects over the years). He crippled Long Island about as much as he did good.
 #1308547  by Commuter X

puckhead wrote:gotta love guys like commuter x. they are against pretty much everything, but never offer an alternative. im sure if we knew what he did for a living, we could rip it to shreds. i seem to remember medicine?
Here's one ...

We live on a g-d dammed island. Why isn't there ferry service to/from Manhattan?
No traffic, congestion or boats in front of you
 #1308574  by Commuter X

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Commuter X wrote:We live on a g-ddam island. Why isn't there ferry service to/from Manhattan?
No traffic, congestion or boats in front of you.
Rockaway Ferry.
Ended on 10/31

http://www.seastreakusa.com/viewpage.aspx?page=Brooklyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1308686  by Doc Emmet Brown

There is only so much the RR can do, with the amount of trains they run. It only takes one problem to screw up the whole system. One train Breaks down, one switch goes bad, one pedestrian accident, one sick passenger, creates a domino effect that can cause delays on the whole system.
Then there are weather related problems and the like. It is what it is, has been for decades.
When I worked there, the Port Washington Branch always had the best on time perfromance. The Railroad had this big study trying to figure out why.
They even posted congratulations in the trainmans room in Port Wash to the train crews.
Then they asked a Conductor why the Port Wash Branch did so well. His ans was simple.. "Its the only Branch that does not go through Jamaica, and get caught in the bottleneck there".
 #1308689  by Amtrak7

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:There is only so much the RR can do, with the amount of trains they run. It only takes one problem to screw up the whole system. One train Breaks down, one switch goes bad, one pedestrian accident, one sick passenger, creates a domino effect that can cause delays on the whole system.
Then there are weather related problems and the like. It is what it is, has been for decades.
When I worked there, the Port Washington Branch always had the best on time perfromance. The Railroad had this big study trying to figure out why.
They even posted congratulations in the trainmans room in Port Wash to the train crews.
Then they asked a Conductor why the Port Wash Branch did so well. His ans was simple.. "Its the only Branch that does not go through Jamaica, and get caught in the bottleneck there".
Nowadays the Port Wash doesn't do so well. Top of the list are Hempstead and Far Rock, so I guess the congestion is moreso NYP-HAROLD than Jamaica.
 #1308728  by inthebag

Amtrak7 wrote:
Doc Emmet Brown wrote:There is only so much the RR can do, with the amount of trains they run. It only takes one problem to screw up the whole system. One train Breaks down, one switch goes bad, one pedestrian accident, one sick passenger, creates a domino effect that can cause delays on the whole system.
Nowadays the Port Wash doesn't do so well. Top of the list are Hempstead and Far Rock, so I guess the congestion is moreso NYP-HAROLD than Jamaica.
Hourly service certainly helps Hempstead and Far Rock OTP numbers. Nowadays, one late train on the Port Wash messes up everything by 5-10 minutes.