Railroad Forums 

• NYA 156 leaves for rebuild?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1259721  by jayrmli

Like anything else that you paint, prep work is everything. If they cleaned and roughed up the surface underneath before painting, it will hold up better.

Also it depends on what is being used to clean the locomotives after painting which can determine how long the paint lasts.
 #1259863  by DogBert

The paint itself is also a factor. Some brands hold up better than others.

So if NY&A now owns 156 - did they also buy any of the other leased engines?
 #1281770  by emfinite

How did NYAR get around the agreement between EMD and LIRR when they purchased the 156 from the LIRR? EMD has first rights to those engines upon sale by the LIRR - the same agreement they had with the GP38s. I'm surprised it slipped past EMD because those units for sale on the market nowadays could fetch what the LIRR paid for them, possibly more.
 #1281868  by DogBert

Can't imagine they didn't know. Maybe LIRR bought it and immediately resold it to NYA. I'm still curious they only bought 156 or do they own the others too?
 #1282287  by LINYARailfan

Any word or update on when 156 will be returning to NYA? Has it gotten past Selkirk yet and does anybody know what time CSX will be taking the 156 from Oak Point back across the Hellgate? Or has it already happened with very little notice? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
 #1282325  by gregorygrice

LINYARailfan wrote:Any word or update on when 156 will be returning to NYA? Has it gotten past Selkirk yet and does anybody know what time CSX will be taking the 156 from Oak Point back across the Hellgate? Or has it already happened with very little notice? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
As shown previously, it appears to still be in Altoona. Work on it is complete though. When it gets to Selkirk it will sit for a couplenof days.
 #1287805  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:Has this thing made it back yet?
I haven't seen it and I've been sitting outside every night watching Q431 go by to catch it. The only day I missed was yesterday, but since you are asking today, I guess it didn't come down last night. I will resume waiting out fr it tonight.
 #1287822  by DogBert

Very rarely am I around up early enough to see the oak point-fresh pond run, though I was this morning and didn't see it, so it must still be at selkirk.