• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

CN9634 wrote:I've heard some talk. Interesting to know what, if any role Pan Am will have in an exchange. Also, PAR/CP have a deal for Pan Am service to Saratoga Springs
No new trains. This is just bringing cars to Quadraphics in Saratoga again. They used to get paper from GRS customers in Maine when I was there but stopped. Now they are getting them back again.
  by newpylong

gokeefe wrote:Interesting to note the very minimal aspects permissible by the setup as built.

Yup. Only need green/yellow or red on the #2 track because it's not diverging. Stop, Clear, Approach, Approach limited (if setup).

#1 diverging. Stop, Medium Clear, Medium Approach.
  by CN9634

newpylong wrote:
CN9634 wrote:I've heard some talk. Interesting to know what, if any role Pan Am will have in an exchange. Also, PAR/CP have a deal for Pan Am service to Saratoga Springs
No new trains. This is just bringing cars to Quadraphics in Saratoga again. They used to get paper from GRS customers in Maine when I was there but stopped. Now they are getting them back again.
Thanks for the info! Traffic is way down up east... really hurting from lack of oil and slow Bucksport traffic.
  by newpylong

Yah they had a terrible first half...in cheapo mode I have been told.

The stuff that's going on out on PAS is embarrassing.
  by johnpbarlow

Chased the FRA "Gage Restraint Measurement Vehicle" being towed wb by 327 as train DO-1 (?) from Willow Rd Ayer to Athol. Train seemed to make decent time as I didn't have to wait too long for it to show up at Wachusetts, E Gardner, and Athol. Did the testing result in any speed restrictions being levied? The 206 train took 48 minutes to go 12 miles from CPF-345 Gardner to Wachusetts (MP 333) and the 23K, waiting at Westminster CPF-335, took 34 minutes to crawl uphill 8 miles to Macki Lumber at MP 343. Is there a 15mph speed restriction for this section of track due to the FRA car passage? Max speed used to be 30-40mph here.
  by mkittredge

Thanks to B & M 1227 for the information. If you see a Vermont car around the tracks the weekend of June 6th, say "hi".
  by HarmonicRock

newpylong wrote:The stuff that's going on out on PAS is embarrassing.
I'll say. The west end of East Deerfield yard is an absolute disaster and the Conn River seems to be in 'hurry-up-and-wait' mode. I had heard back in January from a guy who worked the job last season that the NS was taking over the welded rail job on the Conn River this season, although I kind of expected they would be on it - whoever has the job - by now...
  by CPF363

Over the weekend, crews undercut the #1 track under Main Street in Ayer. Both main lines can now handle auto racks and double stacks from CPF-FG to CPF-312.
  by newpylong

Just the restrictions in the 1 track in Fitchburg and that will be both tracks clear the entire way.
  by B&M 1227

The crossover to the 3rd track by the station (is this the wall track?) to access the Greenville Branch was removed, and the trackage severed a few car lengths east of the tower.
  by CPF363

Has anyone heard as to how the tracks will be configured for the Wachusett extension at Fitchburg? The Fitchburg passenger track currently ends right at the station, will this eventually tie into the main line so that trains can run both to the east and to the west? How will the existing #1 and #2 tracks work into all of this? Will the project introduce any new interlockings and if so where? What about the clearance issues for autos and double stacks, limited to only the #2 track, will this be addressed also in the end as part of this project? When will all of the new welded rail be installed and who is going to do it? It will be interesting to see if any of the old rail will find its way west for curve worn rail replacement.
  by atholrail

Got a little chase in of the LCT today, Bardwells to Greenfield. Speedo thru Bardwells, but fine elsewhere. Didn't want to hang around for the hour long process of going from 385-383 with all the 241's and speedos...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Mcoov

CPF363 wrote:Has anyone heard as to how the tracks will be configured for the Wachusett extension at Fitchburg?
Seeing as how Fitchburg and Wachusett are located on opposite sides of the main line from each other, new crossovers are almost certainly going to be inserted. IIRC, Fitchburg is going to remain single tracked and single platform'd.