Railroad Forums 

• Can anyone identify where these photos were taken?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1271054  by Billbarman

went to a tag sale in Glen Head over the weekend and noticed some LIRR photos. I was happy to see they were from Norman E. Kohl. When I went to pay, the woman running the sale sold me Norman was her godfather/uncle and they lived in the same house. I assume these photos are from Norman's collection. They're both dated but neither have a location. One appears to be S2 457 on a freight while the other is of a freight headed by RS2 1520. Can anyone tell me where they might be?

[ImageImage
Last edited by Billbarman on Mon May 19, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1271194  by emfinite

First one is DEFINITELY Hicksville during grade crossing elimination, looking east towards the station.

Second I'd guess Cold Spring or around the Kings Park area, east of Lawrence Rd.
 #1271493  by nyandw

emfinite wrote:First one is DEFINITELY Hicksville during grade crossing elimination, looking east towards the station.

Emfinite: Nice, perhaps just west of MP 24 block with block factory off to the left? Far right track has elevation (grade crossing elimination finished 7/1964 Hicksville)

Second I'd guess Cold Spring or around the Kings Park area, east of Lawrence Rd.
Norman Kohl took photos along the Port Jeff and Oyster Bay branches Sounds good!

Swingman had ID'd these spots earlier in thread, also. :-)

Billbarman: Is the S2 457 in Hicksville the same date of 2/1764? Thanks.
 #1272762  by nyandw

Billbarman wrote:went to a tag sale in Glen Head... RS2 1520. Can anyone tell me where they might be?.."
Image 1964 G.O. 1113 LIRR Hicksville Elevated Station Interlocking Diagram 09/19/64 Archive: Dave Keller shows the Atlantic Pipe Siding

Billbarman: Can you tell us the back ID info on Kohl's photo on this one, in any? Thank you.
 #1274193  by MACTRAXX

[quote="emfinite"]First one is DEFINITELY Hicksville during grade crossing elimination, looking east towards the station.

E: I agree with you here - The Mineola-Huntington Electrification dates from 1969-70...

Hicksville - at the time it was built - was only the second high-level platform station in LIRR Diesel territory...Richmond Hill was once the only station with this distinction...

MACTRAXX