• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Rbts Stn

Some little yellow thing with black and white highlights just went inbound past here, all by itself, blaring a horn that sounded more like a car than a train. Didn't get a chance to make out any numbers, but it looked as if there were two rows of 3 digits, one atop the other. Moving at a pretty good clip across South Street.
  by nomis

Since we don't know where 'here' is, can you elaborate ...

Did it look something like this?
  by Diverging Route

nomis wrote:Since we don't know where 'here' is, can you elaborate ...

No - that's the Sperry Car. The ones mentioned I believe are rail grinders.
  by GP40MC1118

The small 3 piece Rail Grinder outfit is back in Somerville and working on the Western
Route at Foley Street after last trains.

The Sperry Car (SRS 125) came in from Ayer this afternoon and put in Somerville.
Will be testing Terminal and Grand Jct Running Track tomorrow. Puts up at Beacon
Park.

D
  by Rbts Stn

nomis wrote:Since we don't know where 'here' is, can you elaborate ...

That's the right color scheme, but I thought it was more irregularly shaped.

And yeah, I'm a bit of an @$$ when it comes to my location. Sorry.
  by octr202

While this post blurs the line between belonging here and in the Western Route thread, the rail grinder set mentioned above was parked on the unused leg of the Lowell Jct wye this morning when I went by on 204.
  by MBTA3247

octr202 wrote:There's a Geep double-header roaming the northside as of Wednesday morning. I was too far away to see unit numbers, but it left North Station shortly after 7:00 am this morning.
1135 and 1139. Saw them on 1308 this afternoon. Photo to follow.
  by MetroBostonRailways

MBTA3247 wrote:
octr202 wrote:There's a Geep double-header roaming the northside as of Wednesday morning. I was too far away to see unit numbers, but it left North Station shortly after 7:00 am this morning.
I saw 1135 and 1138 on 1411 at Belmont, as in my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxq5PNpcA1A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MBTA3247

MetroBostonRailways wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:
I saw 1135 and 1138 on 1411 at Belmont, as in my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxq5PNpcA1A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take a closer look at your video around 46 seconds in. Definitely 1139.

by MetroBostonRailways

MBTA3247 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

Wow did i really say 1138, I meant 1139, even my video says that
  by ACeInTheHole

MBTA3247 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

Wow did i really say 1138, I meant 1139, even my video says that
The 1135 looks all tidied up for an executive special or something.. Please tell me it hasnt been in the shop for so long tht theyve had time to clean it.
  by TrainManTy

Clean equipment is good customer service, good maintenance, and good practice. When did that become a bad thing?
  by Mcoov

Why is the near track out of service? I've noticed this on my rides in, and the photo just reminded me to ask this.