Railroad Forums 

• Military Transition

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#940959  by making it happen

I would highly appreciate any information from present or past employees who were in the military and made the transition to working for the railroad. I'm currently on active duty serving in the US in the Marines but will be coming to an end with my 4yr contract and have for the past years been interested in the railroad industry. I've been reading other articles on this site and other sites checking the companies websites about all the information for applications and hiring. I'm trying to get all the tips and pointers I can get well into advance so that I'm not a sitting duck upon my EAS (end of act service). How far out should I apply for the job? Will they take my military experience into account for instances as in management? What should I pay close attention to while hiring on? I know for the fact that the job is going to be tuff or anybody could do it. I'm going to school in a few months to get my CDL so that Im more desirable for the position. I have college classes under my belt but no degree. Does that matter or take into account? My job (mos) does not transition into the civilian world except for a few jobs which you have to retire after 20yrs or more to get those. I work shift work with long hours out in the elements and its physically demanding at times so I should be fine with that aspect of the job (lifestye is what I really want to say). Thank you for your time.
 #942209  by recklessendangerment

First of all, Semper Fi, brother,
I had about 5 years dead time between my EAS and getting hired. HR loves military service and will help you out alot. Don't worry about your MOS not translating out of the military well, Specially if you're going for a Conductor Position, its about work ethic mostly there.
What kind of job are you trying to get into? Transportation, Mechanical, Maintenance? That'll help tell if the CDL is necessary.
As for when to apply, that depends on your current command. If they'll let you burn a few days of leave short notice in case you have to go to an interview/testing, go ahead and apply now. But otherwise wait until you're free and on you're own schedule, that way you don't have to miss an event your invited too.
 #942332  by making it happen

Wow 5 years of down time. Thats a good amount of time. I'm pretty much open for any position thats in the transportation, maintenance, or building of anything. Not so much mechanical but I wouldn't rule that out. I'm a decently fast learner for the most part. The reason for me getting my CDL is that I've always wanted it and a good amount of jobs mention that you must be able to get your CDL after employment so I thought why not just have it from the get go. The best part the military pays for it and nothing comes out of my pocket. With my situation right now is that I can get out 90 days early if I was able to get a job, if not I'm just going ride out my full contract. I should mentioned in my 1st post that I like a job that travels a good amount. I do well with being on call and the crew enviroment because thats what I've been doing for the past few years. What's the easiest and hardest things you encounter with your transition if I can ask? Semper Fidelis and thank you for the info.
 #946452  by recklessendangerment

I had a really easy transition out of the Corps. Of course that was because I got out with about $25K saved up (which I would guess less than 1% of the corps has in there bank) and had a Decent job managing a retail store waiting for me whenever I wanted to take it. Did that for most of those 5 years and just got bored of it.
As for your Terminal Leave, Take it whether you have a job lined up or not. Makes it easier as you're hunting around knowing you still have a steady paycheck coming in. Make sure to draw unemployment as soon as Terminals up as well. It may take you a few months to find something really decent you want to go after and the extra cash will help. But first of all enjoy yourself for the first month or so at least. Take some time off have a vacation and enjoy, might be a while before you get to do it too much after that.

But I'd personally recommend a conductors job, I love doing it.
 #975439  by cbdragon2003

I am about to end an other year deployment to Afghanistan and I need to get a job when i get back. Everything I have read always say apply 3 months out. I have been doing that and it seems like my apps are getting rejected left and right. Acouple of the jobs I have applied for says I am not qualified for it then an hour later I will get an email saying that my app is still under review. So confusing. Is there something i should be doing? or should i just wait til I get home to apply for these jobs?
 #981877  by Komachi

How about a transition to the Employment Forum? There may be better communique for you there.

Oh, and... OOOOOOOOORAH, MARINES! (Never served myself (Medical Disqualification), but I thought I'd give you guys a thumbs-up for your service to the country!)
 #1261915  by making it happen

It's been a few years but I did not make a move to the railroad industry (procrastinated). I opted to make some quick money and work in a few oil refineries (pipe fitter by trade)… I just submitted a few applications to UP & BNSF… WIth my CDL & hands on experience should help me out a good bit… Funny thing is I've been working insane hours (84hrs or better a week).
 #1262222  by mdr406

I posted a thread on here which has the link for CSX's most recent Social, corporate, and Environmental report. It is a fairly large PDF file. In the workforce section, it states that the railroad industry is very military friendly. Apparently, about 20% of employees with CSX have served in the military I am sure the other railroads have similar statistics, or some kind of public report.

Good luck with your endeavors!