Railroad Forums 

• Long-Ago Crash at Belmar on NY&LB

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1260892  by GSC

Looking for info on a rear-end crash that happened at the Belmar NY&LB station. Eastbound nonstop train crashed into standing train at station. This event brought about installation of block signalling on line. Part of station roof came down, and I think a young girl and a man were killed. Happened early 1900s.

Anyone have date of event and other info?
 #1261244  by BigDell

The link worked. It's amazing to see an article over 100 years old available online like that. It's HAUNTING to think about that poor family, the parents seeing their daughter killed like that. My God.... As a father it makes me cringe... :-(
Anyway - good find on the link. I'm going to look for a more "uplifting" story on the boards.....
 #1261453  by R&DB

Gary,
A few more data points for you:
The PRR train was #282, the CNJ excursion was pulled by engine #561.
Thanks to Don Wood's "Unique New York and Long Branch" page 43.
 #1261566  by GSC

Excellent! Thanks guys.

I looked in Don Wood's book, must've missed it. I tried Google and found little. Must not have used the right key words,

Thanks again, guys. Really a big help.
 #1261570  by GSC

Just read the article. Wow. Eyewitness news reporting.

As a father and grandfather, I too cringe at the thought of being within three feet of my child as she is killed.

Thanks again, guys. A great find.
 #1265181  by Splatz

The engineer--who was thin and over six feet must have been the sight described in the aftermath, driving presumably a CNJ 'camelback'--was brought, among others involved, before Judge Fort's Grand Jury in Freehold later in '02,(that's 19) though the actual proceedings occur later.

Fort presided over many indictments that year including bank frauds and murders, but D. Lippincott was at barely 18 years old, not one of them, going on to a long career with the Pennsylvania and the Mayor once of Seaside Park, a stop along the line. Remember the curiosity that was the NY&LBRR, the company owned no rolling stock. The equipment that operated as far west as Whitings Junction and as far east as Bay Head Junction, when both were such, could have been both CNJ and Pennsy.

In one of those strange twists of history, this event overshadowed by the Park Avenue tunnel crash earlier in the year, which contributed more to the call for block signaling. The tunnel ironically, had been constructed as a response to the overwhelming number of fatalities at street level including that also of a young child.

Few recall another New Jersey event overshadowed by one in New York City. Four months before the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire on March 25, 1911 killed 146 garment workers, mostly women, the Alfred and Irving Wolf Muslim Undergarment Company exploded in flames killing 26 in Newark. Exclusive of the Hindenburg crash at Lakehurst, still the record for fatalities by one over the Surfside Hotel in Atlantic City of 1963 at 25 but not the worst. That was Paterson in which some 459 buildings were destroyed. What year? 1902.

More later on the very interesting Grand Jury proceedings and events in the ensuing years which point eerily back to the original tragedy.
 #1265499  by GSC

1902 was a bad year for accidents. Wow. Thanks for sharing that info.