Railroad Forums 

• BNAS rail and crossing removal

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1259677  by FCM2829

hello all.
Does anyone know when the rails & switch to Brunswick Naval Air Station were removed from the Rockland branch?
 #1260514  by Watchman318

jbvb wrote:IIRC, there was no rail across US 1 east of Brunswick as far back as 2004
Where's the "confused" smiley when I need it? ;-)

The Rockland Branch crossed Maine Rt. 24 (Bath Rd., Brunswick) to enter the NAS. I don't know just when the at-grade crossing was removed, but I think I know someone (maybe several people) I can ask about that. I'm pretty sure it was before I moved here in '93. I think someone told me it was around the same time a crossing was put in for the entrance to Merrymeeting Plaza, a shopping center located between Bath Rd. and Rt. 1, and the switch was (timetable) west of that crossing. (The Lewiston Industrial and the Lower Road also cross US 1 in Brunswick, on bridges.)
I think there is still some track visible inside the perimeter of the former base, now called Brunswick Landing, if you look at it with satellite imagery.

The branch and the highway do cross at a number of places, but the only at-grade crossing is Main St., Wiscasset. West Bath (around MP 34.80), Bath, Woolwich and Waldoboro are all railroad-under bridges.

I'll see what I can find out about the date of the line into the NAS being cut.